Around the NBA 12/15: Things Celtics fans should know from last night
While the Celtics were preparing for their home game tonight against the Cavaliers, who it is important to note they will only be a game back of if they were to win, there were 20 teams in action last night. Here are some things you should know about:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets lost at home to the Magic and are now 7-17. However, the Pelicans (6-17) lost as well to the Blazers, so Brooklyn remains in sole possession of the fourth worst NBA record and only a game behind New Orleans for the third worst. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves, who are 9-14, were idle last night. However, with the Rockets, Jazz and Suns losing last night, they actually gained a game on the eighth seed and start today only a game back. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season were to end today.
3. The Mavericks defeated the Suns 104-94 to move to 14-11 and in sole possession of the fifth seed in the Western Conference. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season were to end today.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Nets lost the Magic 105-82.
5. The Raptors were defeated by the Pacers 106-90.
6. The 76ers lost to the Bulls 115-96. The Sixers are on pace for approximately three wins this season.
Atlantic Division as of 12/15 Toronto 16-10
Boston 14-10 (1 GB)
New York 11-14
7. Paul Pierce played 11 minutes in the Clippers OT win over the Pistons. He finished with 2 points on 2 free throws, 1 rebound and 1 steal.
8. Gerald Green played 31 minutes in the Heat's win over the Hawks last night. He finished with 20 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.
9. Marcus Thornton played 21 minutes off the bench in the Rockets loss to the Nuggets last night. He finished with 13 points, and a shocking minus-23 considering the fact they only lost by six points.
10. Jeff Green started and played 40 minutes in the Grizzlies win over the Wizards. He finished with 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 turnovers.