15 years ago today the greatest rapper of all time passed away at the age of 25. There will never be another Tupac Shakur. I know this is a Celtics site, but as we all know music and sports often cross paths. I want to give my personal tribute to the myth, the man, the legend; Tupac Shakur.

I've written about most of the people,places, and events that I hold dearest in my life. The impact of Tupac Shakur's music definitely belongs in that group. For anyone that knows me, they know that the subject I talk about most often, besides my dad ofcourse, is my passion for the music of Tupac Shakur. Some people might laugh at the fact that a pasty white, red head from Great Falls idolizes a gangster rapper, but Tupac's music crosses socioeconomic and racial lines.

I first heard Tupac on my way to Kings Dominion in 7th grade. I borrowed my friend Eddie Chung's disc man, which was playing Hit em up( one of Tupac's more hard hitting jams). At that time I was mostly listening to whatever was on the radio and didn't really have a favorite music artist. However, it wasn't until I heard Changes on the radio for the first time and subsequently got Tupac's Greatest hits album for Christmas, that I was officially hooked. I remember playing that CD over and over upstairs at my grandparents house, mesmerized by the powerful way in which Tupac delivered every verse.

I'll be the first to admit that I may have been a little too obsessed with 2pac's music, especially in high school. I would literally only listen to Tupac for 4 straight years, rotating each one of his CD's over and over again. It got to the point where I could hear a song and tell you the track and disc number without even thinking. I claimed to be "the biggest 2pac fan on the East Coast" and honestly I probably was and still am. I remember getting into many an argument about Tupac being the greatest rapper. I didn't care if people made fun of me personally, but if they made fun of Tupac, watch out.

The beauty of music is that it takes you away from the stresses in life, even for just a few minutes. Tupac has a song for every mood. When your feeling sad you can put on Life Goes On or Keep Ya Head Up. When you want to party you can play How Do You Want It. If you want to feel inspired put on Changes, or when you want to simply let loose and get pumped up Hit em Up or Hellrazor. He has the ability to deliver simple, yet deep and thought provoking lyrics that were unmatched in his day and will probably never be seen again.

His music appeals to all generations. My own father, a 60 year old white man, loves Tupac (but only the hardcore songs like Hell 4 A Hustler and Hit Em Up). It is so sad 2pac was taken away from us so early. Imagine what he could've done. When I look at rap these days, besides a few exceptions, it seems to be all about money and bling. Sometimes I wonder if 2pac would've succumbed and sold out when he became rich, but I'd like to think he would still come out with deep, thought provoking lyrics.

Tupac's music showed that their are two sides of every person, and that there is bad and good in society. Some people take issue with the fact that one song would talk about hoes and bitches, and the next would talk about respecting women. But aren't their people out there , girls and guys, that could fit into each category. People are too quick to judge.

What separates 2pac from every other rapper is his delivery. Rap and music in general is not about lyrics or beats. It's about how you deliver a song, how you make it all come together. Every time Tupac speaks you know it's from the heart. You can almost feel what he's feeling.
I could go on and on about Tupac. His music is what helps me feel happy at my lowest points. He will always be my favorite music artist. I know that whatever happens in my life, as long as I have his music things will always be okay.

Here are a few of Tupac's lesser known songs to check out.
1. Soon As I get Home

2. Wonder Why They Call You Bitch

3. Heaven Aint Hard 2 Find

4. Lord Knows

5. Letter to My Unborn Child (better than Dear Mama)

Make sure to listen to at least one 2pac song today. RIP 2pac Shakur. June 16, 1971-September 13, 1996.

Karl Dillinger 9/13/2011 08:40:00 AM Edit

1. Greatest rapper? Ha! Think again.

you must be a kid vinnie paz because if you were around in the 90's there was no one that could speak over tupac. jay z , biggie, master p, lil wayne, paul wall, you name them and they could not out sing tupac. his records were jammed everywhere when back then you played music from your side only. if you were west coast you played that style and if you were from the west it was too short and mac mall, and dont forget eazy e. i'm from the south , we were jamming geto boys and rap a lot records. but damn tupac was just the music for the times. rip tupac, i got your back till the day i die.

3. Yo who you callin greatest rapper?

4. KRS-One says:

Clap yo hands e'rybody, if you got what it takes, cuz i'm K-R-S and I'm on the mic, and Premier's, on the breaks...

5. RZA says:

Y'all be like roll that shit, light that shit, smoke it

6. Tupac's overrated says:

Very overrated. Simple rhymes, weak-beats. He's so "hard" he was in Digital Underground before he went on his own. Don't believe me?

Give me Biggie, Inspectah Deck & GZA from Wu-Tang, Poetic from Gravediggaz, Eminem, Jeru the Damaja, Guru, Nas, Prodigy, Rakim and Vinny Paz over him. Tupac's ahead of Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg and Warren G.

Truly the best of all times.

"Very overrated. Simple rhymes" ? Have you even heard any of his stuff?

Listen to "Still I rise" watch for the effortless delivery of his lyrics beautifully entwined with the flow of the music to produce one of his best.

I do like Rakim and Biggie, but Tupac??? they are not!

9. Karl says:

Regarding the "simple lyrics" comment that is what made 2pac so good. He sent out a message that everyone could understand. That's part of what made him so brilliant. Just because you can say big words in a song doesn't make you a good rapper. It's about delivery and the overall message. RIP Pac.

10. M-O-B says:

Alirght my niggas, lets set the record straight:

Better emcees than Tupac:
    Eminem
    Biggie
    Big Pun

Emcees Tupac's better than:
    EVERYONE else

4th all time is tight. Better than DMX and Das Effex and ALL Wu Tang, and Mobb Sleep and Jay Z and that bich Kanye.

Fuck the rap game nigga, this is M-O-B!

11. wtf? ^ lmao!

And to who said Pac is/was overrated - what if he was alive and rapping today? Who knows how much better he would've became. All you people are just commenting w/hate towards the man and he isnt even alive. Karl is right, there will never be another Tupac. Kinda like there will never be another Kevin Garnett ;)

Pac is indeed overrated. I guarantee you if he was still alive he'd take the same route that Snoop Dogg has taken making cheesy bubblegum songs. If Pac was still alive he would not be called the greatest. He was good, but he's not the greatest to do it. Case closed!

I just can't believe this has gotten 12 comments, and my Larry Sykes article has gotten just 3 and Steve Hamer has gotten 0.

Where's the WTHHT love people??

14. Karl says:

Harsh TB! 2pac is just a bit more recognizable than those two. I have no clue who either is. Good articles though.

LOL it's not an indication of the article or your writing Karl. Was just making references to my articles on obscure players for the hell of it.

Nice to see you writing again, keep up the good work.

16. Karl says:

I just finished crying! Thanks a lot TB!!:)

17. Nice article, definitely one of the greatest rappers of all time... it'd be interesting to see where he'd be if he was still alive today... Hopefully not selling out like Ice Cube

BTW that's funny you're from Great Falls, I am as well. I wonder which high school you walked around bumpin' Tupac all day? Langley?

18. Karl says:

Yup, Langley class of 2003.

Karl you went to Luc Longley HS?

20. Guru says:

Cuz right about now, I use my authority, cuz I'm like the wizard and you look lost like Dorothy

21. GZA says:

The plan was to expand, catch 7 figures, release triggers and live large and bigger than my ni$$er who promised his moms a mansion with mad room, she died, he still left a hundred grand in her tomb

K-rino is my favorite rapper of all time then package. K-rino will give you everything tupac did and then some. He has very very complex lyrical rhymes though. 2pac doesn't even come close when it comes to that. He also has very elaborate stories in his music. Every album is mindblowing and well worth checking out. Here's some for example: book number 7, blood doctrine, time traveler, triple darkness vol 1,2,3 wrecktime the lyrics and coalition ambush, solitary confinement, alien baby, annihilation of the evil machine, day of the storm, worst rapper alive.

23. Unknown says:

i agree k rino is amazing better then pac but i dont care i listen to nas,pac,and k-rino an wu tang clan their untouchable :)