It's crazy to think that Ray Allen's college roommate played for the Celtics 14 seasons ago.  With Ray being financially secure for life and recently re-upping for another year, it makes it even more evident who plays for the love of the game and for the love of money.  You may remember this week's WTHHT player, Travis Knight.

He was the 29th and final pick of the first round of the loaded 1996 draft by the Bulls.  However the Bulls would release him just a couple weeks after drafting him, unwilling to give him a guaranteed rookie contract that came with being drafted in the first round.  The enemy decided to sign him.  That first year in the league he made All-Rookie second team surprisingly with averages of 4.8 points and 4.5 rebounds in 17 minutes a night.

The Evil Emperor couldn't resist and decided to sign him to a huge contract the following season.  In fact, I imagine the interaction went something like this:

GoAnimate.com: Evil Emperor and Travis Knight by tb727

Travis' quote there was an actual one.  In case the animation didn't allow you to hear it clearly (which I wouldn't be totally surprised since Evil Emperor sounds British), he said:

''I really have mixed emotions,'' said the 22-year-old Knight, who played in the rookie All-Star game last season. ''I should be elated right now, but I'm not. I feel so much loyalty to the Lakers."
(That's the kind of quote that generally gets you banned from WTHHT fame, sort of like these 2 clowns).

He continued:
''But you work at something as hard as you can, and then it's there. The security,'' he said.'  'That's the rest of my life, right there.''
Oh it sure was the rest of your life.  Knight would fulfill that 7 year contract before leaving the game of basketball.  I wonder if he had a stop-watch after signing it, counting down the number of minutes until it was over, so he could be done with basketball.  After that season in Boston (when he actually played 74 games) he wouldn't play more than 63 games.  Fortunately for the Celtics it was a one-and-done for Knight, as the Evil Emperor was able to redeem himself prying Tony Battie from the Flakers for Knight straight-up.

Knight would play 2 more seasons sparingly for lal before being shipped to the Knicks in the 4 team deal that sent Patrick Ewing to the Sonics.  He would then morph into the "expiring contract of Travis Knight" and play even more sparingly for the Knicks for 3 seasons.  Knight even got bought out by the Knicks in 2003, so he got to collect $4.4 million in 2004 for doing nothing.

It really has nothing to do with Travis Knight the person; he's probably a very nice guy.  Frankly it seemed to me the guy didn't give a shit when it came to basketball (he's not the first nor will he be the last with this mindset: see Stewart, Michael for another prime example).  For all I know, maybe he had some serious injury.  But to see someone like Ray Allen continue to give his all and actually care.  To see guys continue to push every ounce of their body (see Shaq this past season) all for the quest to cement their legacy, it sure leaves a lot to be desired when you see someone like Knight quit at 28 after one huge contract he didn't deserve.

Knight's career was worthy of a salary similar to Alan Ogg, not Rony Seikaly.  But some guys catch their break (Jon Koncak for one).

If you look through the Evil Emperor's merry-go-round of players and contracts, the Knight signing was arguably the worst.  However they were able to get Battie for him after just one season so he salvaged that move.  While Tony wasn't great, he was a much better pro than Knight.  Mitch Kupchak was swindled on that one.  Not ever sure what the allure with Knight was.  Why because he hit a few three pointers?  I feel he was average in college and even his rookie season wasn't anything special.

Today Knight runs Villa Noche, in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua.  He lives between the US and Nicaragua.  If you want to email him you can reach him at villanoche@gmail.com and his phone number is 936.522.6723.    Maybe ask him what the Evil Emperor was smoking when he offered him that contract.  And as you can see from their rates of $3,500 US Dollars a week to stay there, Travis is still in the business of ripping people off.

He also has an 8 year old daughter named Natasha.  I feel his quote regarding her interest in basketball sums it up:
“If she wants to play basketball we’ll play; if not, it’s fine with me.”
Just like you buddy.

For a list of all the "What the Hell Happened To" Series please click here.

tb727 7/04/2011 12:01:00 AM Edit

1. Beantown says:

Well I guess I can't blame him for taking that ridiculous contract, it's not any less disgusting though. I mean a guy like that is making 4.4 million one year just to sit at home and stay away from the team. I guess that's why they say life's not fair.

Nonetheless, I agree with your points about Ray, I always respected him when he was playing for other teams. They were saying his career was done when he was in Seattle and he still busted his ass on a bad team. I never heard about him ever complaining even though he played for bum teams like the Bucks and the Sonics for years, these days these guys are so spoiled he's a breath of fresh air.

Yeah Beantown I mean Ray is probably the "exception", rather than the "norm", which is sad. There's been MANY guys that have busted their ass to get back and play from injuries or other setbacks. But there's also been plenty of guys to just accept that salary and call it a day.

I don't blame Knight for accepting the contract; think of the opposite back when John Amaechi turned down a $17 million contract with the Flakers to play for $600K per year with the Magic, since he felt loyalty to Orlando since they gave him his break.

Damn looks like UCONN didn't pay players back then as much as they do now. Couldn't they at least provide longer beds for their 7 foot recruits.

Nice tucked in shirt look Ray. lol.

Lol at the video TB.

Why is it that youtube is the only company that has learned how to provide quick loading embedded videos?

5. QD says:

Lol, where are their arms in the vid?

That video is Limbsist!

7. Keith Peckerhead says:

Looks like Travis is growing a lockout beard.

Ray obviously points at the mess on Knight's bed in disgust. Or maybe he points at the mess that will be Knight's future in disgust. Anyway you can see there why we shouldn't be so harsh with Danny.

9. Knight has a poster of himself on the wall. That would have been enough to predict...

Travis knight was a pussy. A PUSSY I say! He was soft and pushed around by bigger guys. He was unathletic and not tough enough to play in the league. Its preposterous & ludicrous he got that contract!

Awesome video btw...

11. Keith Peckerhead says:

Just saying Anonymous, but you're kind of a pussy for calling someone a pussy anonymously. Like you would have turned down that contract it was offered to you? When have you ever turned down a contract because you thought you weren't worth that much? Travis wasn't athletic enough or strong enough to be a center in the NBA. That's why he was picked at the end of the 1st round. Credit to him for sticking around as long as he did.

And YOUR name is Peckerhead? I'd prefer being "anonymous" ESPECIALLY with that name.

Get a grip, I like keeping anonymity, something you should learn about. Pussy

And I'm not blaming him for taking the contract. Pitino is at fault there. I was simply explaining how much Travis Knight SUCKED. Just a terrible basketball player.

14. Keith Peckerhead says:

Well my name is Keith. My last name is Richardtoppe. Long story how Peckerhead became my nickname. And I wouldn't toot my own horn over your ANONYMITY. I actually know who YOU are and I'm considering outing you pussy.

15. MaxContract says:

The signing also forced the Celtics to renounce all of their free agents, including Rick Fox, because they exceeded the salary cap. Strong work, Pitino.

Personally I never quite understood the intensity of the hate for Pitino. He didn't win in Boston, but he planted the seeds for the team that made it to the ECF. He was quick to turn bad moves into good ones. For example with the Travis Knight signing he traded him for Tony Battie which was a great move and in turn screwed the Lakers. Double points for that. Chris Mills wasn't working out, so he moved him for Waltah and Thomas (who was decent during his Boston stay). He drafted Paul Pierce who is the greatest Celtic to be drafted in the past 30 years. He was right about Dirk and Jermaine O'Neal and wisely tried to trade multiple picks to get JO. He found Bruce Bowen. The list goes on. I'm not even a Pitino fan. He's an EGOMANIAC, but the way he's viewed is a little misguided.

Now people will say what about Billups? Well he asked people in the know (not sure if it was Cousy, but maybe him) if Billups could turn himself into a point guard and they said no. Obviously the Raptors weren't happy with Billups. Neither were the Nuggets or Magic. Finally on his 5th team Minnesota Billups began to become a point guard and it wasn't until his 6th team Detroit that he became a very good one.

Every team in the league had a chance to sign Billups at one point.

Pitino failed because he was constantly tinkering, didn't have much of a long term view, let the negative Boston press get to him, and was too intense for NBA players. He wasn't an idiot. Again the Travis Knight signing got us Battie and screwed the Lakers. Nice work Rick. lol

Why they hate the Evil Emperor? He had 36, 19. 35, and 12 wins in his 3.5 seasons which equates to winning percentages of .439, .380, .427, and .353. He traded a first round pick for Vitaly Potapenko (which turned out to be Andre Miller who still plays today). His roster was a merry-go-round of players who he never had the patience for. He tried yelling at the guys and making them press full-court. He even forced Red Auerbach, the patriach of Celtics basketball, to renounce his position as team president.

Yes Paul Pierce fell into his lap but he picked Ron Mercer over Tracy McGrady. He felt Danny Fortson was the "missing piece." He liked Bruce Bowen so much he let him walk after his short tenure in Boston.

Along with the trusty Buffoon as gm, it was a horrendous combination and set the Celtics to new depths. He wasn't remotely successful. He deserves all the criticism he gets and thensome.

Come on JR, you're better than that!

Did I say Pitino was a good NBA coach? No I said his intensity was not a good match for 1990's NBA players, but compare his moves in his 4 years to Danny's first 4 years and I think you'd be surprised. The problem was Pitino was the GM AND coach. It's easy in retrospect to look at the Potapenko trade negatively, but at the time the Ukraine Train was a young starter caliber center. It wasn't clear who would have the longer career between him or Big Z. It's not easy to get a young starter caliber center (as the Celtics will again now find out). Trading a first round pick for one was not a reach. Ainge traded an even higher first rounder for the 3rd string pg on the worst team in the league.

Yeah he picked Mercer over T-Mac. I think all the GM's in the league would have at the time. Ainge picked Gerald Green over Monta Ellis and David Lee. But Pitino was wise not to give Mercer big bucks and reading Red's book Red LOVED Fortson.

Pitino was a failure in Boston in terms of wins, but in terms of bringing in talent he brought in a superstar in Pierce, a starting point guard in Kenny Anderson, a few young bigs in Potapenko, Battie, and Fortson, and good role players in McCarty and Bowen. 5 of the guys who played minutes for OB's ECF team were Pierce guys (2 were ML Carr guys and the other 2 were from the JJ trade).

I fault Pitino for taking the President title from Red and as I've said overall he was a failure, but I just don't agree that his moves were that much worse then other failed GM's. You put Dave Gavitt or Danny Ainge in charge at that time and I don't think you see more progress. Too bad Pitino wasn't friends with McHale and couldn't package Antoine and picks for KG. I think a Kenny Anderson, Pierce, Williams, KG, Battie team could have given the Lakers a scare. Or if Portland had accepted his offer of 3 picks for JO, his tenure might have ended differently.

Travis has one daughter with a former cheerleader from Uconn where he went to school and actually has another daughter (Skyler) with a former model from LA/Texas - Shaune Bagwell (formerly married to baseball great Jeff Bagwell from Houston) not only does he spend no time with his daughter, Skyler - he rarely pays child support....and it's only $ 1000 per month - chump change for a former NBA player! He blew all of those millions and uses the money he has left to get high and drunk and pick up trailer park trash in bars.....crazy when you have a model at home waiting for you! (google her!)

What a sad ending.......

That's hysterical last Anonymous. Thanks for sharing!