No blockbuster trades, or big name picks this year for Boston. I'm sure Danny was making his calls all night, but apparently nothing panned out. With the 19th pick in the draft, the Celtics selected Avery Bradley, a young defensive-minded combo guard out of Texas. I'm glad Boston went for young legs as Bradley only played one season of college basketball. ESPN lists his strengths as, "Quick and explosive athlete, who plays bigger than his height. Excellent defender. Can create his own shot and score off the dribble. Solid mid-range shooter." He did only average 11.6 points per game in his freshman year, and shot 54.5% from the free throw line.

So, what does this mean for this year's roster? I don't think it effects the Ray Allen situation in the slightest, but I guarantee TA and 'Quis won't both be back next year. It's really a tough call between them. I feel like if Daniels actually stayed healthy and got consistent minutes, he would be a difference maker on offense. He showed flashes of excellence cutting into the lane and finishing well at the rim. However, TA is one of the best one-on-one defenders in the league. I'm sure he also costs more the 'Quis. That will be a tough decision to make for the C's front office.

In the second round, Boston selected Luke Harangody with the 52nd overall pick. I'm unsure why this pick is getting that much less coverage than the Bradley pick. The Notre Dame forward was a prolific scorer in the Big East. He is the third-best scorer in Big East history and recorded over 20 points per game in each of his last three seasons. Harangody is also the second-best rebounder in Big East history.  He is a great post player with a good enough jumper to keep defenders from playing off him. I honestly think this guy can make a difference this year.

With Boston's lack of depth at the forward position, he may see some serious playing time. Sheed retired, Perk is out to start the year, KG won't play too many minutes in the regular season, and that leaves only Big Baby. I highly doubt Ainge brings back Shelden Williams after his terrible postseason performance. Harangody will definitely be someone to watch in the summer league, and I believe he has a higher upside than Bradley..

Stephen Bailey 6/25/2010 10:24:00 AM Edit

1. Ya I actually like both of the Celtics picks this year. I wish we had made some trades though. I think both will be in the Celtics rotation before the year is out next year. Great pierce Bailey!

2. Bailey says:

Thanks Karl! At least Danny didn't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. Sometimes no move is a good move.

Jay Bilas probably commented on his wingspan :p

4. ThomasJ says:

I believe Harangody will replace Scal and add wingspan

5. Danny says:

Thank You Ainge for these picks! We need more depth in the big man category and some fresh wheels to spell Rondo now and again. Lets all hope these two boys can pay some dividends.

I think Danny chose very well this year. He picked two players ready to contribute in Bradley (one of the highest high school prospects in the nation, who fell because of his not very good year at Texas) and Harangody (4 years in college with dominating stats and a catchy name as well, LOL)

My initial take with these picks is:

1. Nate won't be back (we got Bradley)
    2. Marquis won't return unless he accepts the minimum
    3. TA will be back
    4. Scal won't be back (we got Harangody)
    5. We need to add a big name SF and C. One way I see is dedicating the MLE to a forward (Salmons, Miller...) and do a trade for a big. Although it could be just the opposite by offering a contract to Shaq, or Brad Miller and trading for a SF.

BTW, since I don't have that much of a chance to follow NCAA around here...if someone has seen our two rookies play last year could you give a brief description of their style and if you think they will fit here?

In theory it seems Bradley has "Monta Ellis" style and Harangody is just intriguing to me, is he...

1. Scalabrine 2.0?
    2. Pittsnogle's cousin?
    3. Keith Van Horn's twin?
    4. The second coming of Dave Cowens?

Fun fact on Bradley; He actually shot 76 percent at the line his senior year in High school. He had an extremely small sample size at Texas, where he only shot 66 FT's total.

He's solid at the line, don't worry about it. He not Rondo v2, at least in that regard. They should be able to play together.

5. Wally Scalabrine?
    6. Brian Szczerbiak??
    ... LOL!

10. Karl says:

I watch a good amount of college ball. Harangody is better than Scal already and works hard. He'll be a solid role player for a long time. I still love you Scal.