RealGM
Nate Robinson was benched for two games near the end of the regular season, and it cost him $1 million, while saving the team twice that amount due to the luxury tax.

A clause in Robinson's contract calls for him to make a $1 million bonus if he both played in at least 58 games and made the playoffs this season.
You all make the call:
A) Do you think the Celtics benched him purposely to save the money?
B) If the Celtics did, do you agree with that decision?

Regardless, it doesn't seem to be affecting Nate much. Though he continues to get no playing time, he seems to be having the time of his life during this playoff run.

JR 5/06/2010 03:25:00 AM Edit

I agree. Nate doesn't have much use now during the playoffs as you already have Rondo & T.A. He doesn't really fit the rotation. Although he can spread the floor & shoot 3's but he doesn't really have the sight of a PG & he's also undersized.

2. amyy says:

Regardless if it was to save money or not I agree with the decision. Doc Rivers did let him play some minutes since being traded but hes not showing he deserves more minutes. I personally don't want him to play any minutes at all! I know Rondo needs a break every now and then but I would rather have Tony Allen, Ray Allen, or Paul Pierce bring the ball down the court. I would love for Stephen Curry to come play for the Celtics. Although he is still young and has a lot to learn, he can be a reserve for Rondo and actually do a really good job.

I knew about the $1 mil bonus but I didn't know it was making the playoffs and playing in 58 games, thought it was just making the playoffs.

4. ThomasJ says:

I'm sure they did once it was clear Nate wasn't going to be part of the playoff rotation.

Of course it was the right decision! Why give him a million bonus when he's making 5 to be ready if called on.

5. Bailey says:

My thoughts exactly Thomas, and Karl don't we all? He is a free agent this summer I believe...one can't help but hope.

6. GEORGE says:

I THINK THE COACH & THE CORPERATE OFFICE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING BY NOT PLAYING NATE. IF THE COACH NEED NATE TO COME OFF THE BENCH HE WILL PUT HIM IN THAT SITUATION WHEN NEEDED TO HELP TRY TO WIN GAME IN THE PLAYOFFS.

why not try playing him. maybe he can try or show the his talent in this series against the cavs... i mean he is young and fast and can shoot three's. nate can be the missing piece of the "W"