Boston Herald

It is quite possible Doc Rivers is nearing the end of his run as coach of the Celtics [team stats]. Sources have told the Herald that he is leaning toward leaving the bench after this season, but Rivers insisted yesterday no final decision has been made.

There has been similar speculation in the past, but this time the planets seem better aligned for a move. One of Rivers’ sons, Jeremiah, will be a senior next season on the Indiana University hoop team and daughter Callie, a volleyball star, will be in her final year at the University of Florida. Another son, Austin, is a top basketball prospect who will be finishing high school.

There also is the fact the Celtics appear headed for some major offseason issues. While the club still is hoping for a strong playoff run, there will have to be some measure of reconstruction this summer.

“Part of it is true,” Rivers said of the speculation. “Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That’s nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I’ve got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That’s important to me. We’re all family men. We all have kids.

“Every year you’ve got to weigh what’s best for your kids. That’s just the way it is. But, I don’t get into it now. I don’t talk about it. I’ve never told anyone one way or the other, and that’s how it’s always been.”

Rivers even avoided the subject when general manager Danny Ainge wanted to negotiate a contract extension. The coach has one year left on his deal, but he has thus far passed on the chance for a new pact.

“Danny already brought it up, and I told him I didn’t want to talk about it,” Rivers said.
Well this comes out of left field. At least for me. I know Doc has some detractors, but if you're looking for a better alternative, the grass isn't always greener as they say. Would be awesome if the team used this as motivation to win another title this Spring. We shall see where this story goes.

JR 4/14/2010 07:47:00 AM Edit

If Doc goes, who should replace him?

My guess would be Thibs, but Ainge might do something strange.

No way! Thibs couldn't do anything right when Doc got kicked out of games. How's about Jeff Vangundy?

Ainge might as well go on and sign a contract with 'Sheed as a "playing" coach.

This would suck. I think he should stay as Boston coach for 4 more seasons and become Jerry Sloan East

6. Karl says:

Ya he should definitely stay. This is certainly out of left field. Besides some issues with time management he's a very good coach.

If he was to become Jerry Sloan, he'd have to stop tolerating sloppines and lack of effort of certain players.
    Jerry Sloan quotes: "I don't care if he's 19 or 30. If he's going to be on the floor in the NBA, he's got to be able to step up and get after it."
    "I've always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying."
    source: wikipedia

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo doc don't leave.

9. ThomasJ says:

I've always liked Doc as a coach, especially the way he relates to his players...UNTIL THIS YEAR!

Doc should not be mentioned in the same breath as Sloan.

This year has been a disaster, but if Doc goes I can only hope that Ainge goes, too.

Ainge should follow McHale's path for a bad GM and go fishing.

Yes Ainge put the big three together and won a championship but that alone doesn't make up for all the bad moves. McHale drafted and groomed KG, but he terrible otherwise.

When I said "Jerry Sloan East" I meant it more as longevity, not coaching success. I don't think Doc's as good a coach as Sloan. Although he does let his players wear headbands lol:

Then again, I don't think Skiles allows them either...

I hope he stays. He is not the perfect coach, but he is really a great one. If he leaves then expect other people to do the same.

Don't leave Doc!

12. Margaret says:

I literally can't even allow myself to THINK of him not being here...