The Celtics have lacked energy this year. They don't seem to have the desire to win that I expected after a disappointing end to last season. Sure it's early, but the Warriors had no business being in the game as long as they were last night. The Celtics need to get back to the hard nosed defensive team they used to be.

This all starts with Rondo. Rondo took over in the second half yesterday, as he could almost every game. The question is why doesn't he? I love Rondo and think he is a great player, but it is time for him to be more of a leader on the court. No one can stop this guy off the dribble. I think one of the reasons he hasn't been more aggressive is because of his terrible foul shooting. I don't care if it’s early, 25% from the free throw line is unacceptable for an NBA player, much less a point guard. I never have understood how any NBA player can shoot less than 70% from the line. They have the privilege to play the game they love, and they won't even practice their free throws?

You saw last night that the Celtics dominate when Rondo starts playing aggressively. Say what you want about the big 3, but Rondo makes them go. Aside from turnovers and Toine (I mean Rasheed's), reckless three point shooting, I like what they are doing offensively on a whole. I think Garnett is coming into form, and Pierce is having one of his best shooting year’s percentage wise of his career. I also love the way Sheldon Williams is playing on the glass, and Nasty Daniels's intangibles in the limited time he is on the court.

The defense is where the Celtics have been lacking. Their trademark is the defensive side of the ball, yet they've let teams score at will on them the past 6 games or so. This is a result of both a lack of effort and desire on the Celtics part. Look, the NBA season is a marathon not a sprint, but you don't want to be starting bad habits because they can be hard to break. The vets on this team need to realize that the time to win is now because they aren't getting any younger.

The Celtics have this year, next year, and maybe the year after to get another title. However, at this rate they will be lucky to get to the conference finals. The Eastern Conference looks as good as it ever has this year, and the Celtics can't just expect to turn it on when they feel like it. For them to be considered a legendary Celtics team, one championship is not enough.

Karl Dillinger 11/19/2009 01:08:00 PM Edit

Good article. My own thoughts is they have this year and MAYBE next year to win it. It's really this year in my opinion though, they got to get it done!

2. Karl Dillinger says:

Ya I agree, I was just being overly optimistic.

I think we are caught up in NFL mentality of every game meaning something, I know NBA isnt the MLB but 82 is a long ways away. It seems NBA teams only suit up for other top notch teams to see where they stand but whats the point in trying your best against the nets when you know going 85% prob still gets the W

you see the Wiz come back!! lets goo

5. ThomasJ says:

Great points, I think you hit on the main issues on my mind. Especially the defense analysis, my earlier comment regarding 'flipping the switch' was mainly inspired by the defensive effort. I'm cutting KG some slack because you could say he is still getting back into a regular groove with full confidence in his knee, but overall I hear you with the 'where is the pride'. I guess I expected this team to be on a mission this season from game one.

6. ThomasJ says:

Tomorrow night will be a good indicator as to where things are at right now. I know the Suns were unconscious from 3, but they were getting good looks and the C's weren't rotating and closing out on shooters. A repeat of that in Orlando would be a disaster.

I think its kind of bullshit. Do you not see the look of dedication in the faces of Kevin Garnett,(esp ) Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, Kendrick Perkins, Eddie House and even Rasheed Wallace, our newest veteran...do you see the looks on their faces before they touch the floor? Do you see Doc Rivers and Tom Thibodeau push them to be better EVERY game. hell even Scalabrine wants it. Not to mention The Captain Paul Pierce now on his 12th season. Have you been to a live game? I just went on Wednesday and let me tell you they still have it. I think you have the wrong idea about the definition of Celtic Pride, if as a fan you are doubting its there 12 games into the regular season, and with their record at 9-3. Are you nuts? You may want to rethink about being a Celtics Sportswriter. You don't know this team at all or a damn thing about their pride.

You might want to slow your roll a little bit anonymous. No need to call anyone out. Karl can question the Celtics energy, just like Doc can or Perk can (who did that this week himself). You have your opinion and that's cool. You're very welcome to rebut that you think the C's are playing with a ton of effort and pride. The last few lines you wrote were unnecessary and lame imo, especially since you wrote them as an "anonymous" poster. Again, you're very welcome to post here, but try and be a little more respectful.

9. Karl Dillinger says:

Haha, it's all good. Any comments are good comments. Good sportswriting is not being a homer all the time anonymous so take a deep breath.