Around the NBA 3/2: Simmons, Ingram and Hield in action; New mock draft; Nets lose
As the Celtics were preparing for tonight's matchup with the Blazers, there were 12 NBA teams in actions last night, as well as many of the top prospects for the NBA draft, including Ben Simmons, Buddy Hield and Brandon Ingram.
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (17-44) lost to the Lakers last night, but the Suns lost by 34 to the Hornets, who came into the game only two games over .500. Yikes. The Nets have the fourth-worst record in the NBA, which gives them an 11.9% chance of winning the first pick of the draft. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick. As of today, the bottom of the league standings are as follows:
2. The Celtics (36-25) were idle last night. own the 17th pick in the NBA draft. Their complete list of picks project to include 4, 19, 23, 31, 35, 51, 52 and 58.
3. The Mavericks (33-28) beat the Magic last night for their third straight win. They are currently tied with the Blazers for the sixth seed in the West (Mavericks own tiebreaker). Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 19th pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. Nets lost to the Lakers 107-101
5. Knicks lost to the Blazers 104-85
Atlantic Division Standings as of 3/2
New York 25-37
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
6. Winners: Heat and Hornets
7. Losers: Bulls and Hawks
8. Brandon Bass played 18 minutes in the Lakers win over the Nets last night. He went 1-5 from the field, 3-4 from the free throw line and finished with 5 points, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks.
POTENTIAL DRAFT PICKS
9. Ben Simmons and LSU beat Missouri last night. Simmons played 37 minutes, shot 6-9 from the field, 10-11 from the free throw line and finished with 22 points, 14 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals.
10. Buddy Hield and Oklahoma beat Baylor last night. Hield played 36 minutes, shot 8-19 from the field, 4-11 from three and 3-4 from the free throw line, to finish with 23 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.
11. Brandon Ingram and Duke beat Wake Forest last night. Ingram played 39 minutes, shot 6-17 from the field, 2-5 from three and finished with 15 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 assists.
12. Tyler Ulis, Jamal Murray and Kentucky beat Florida last night. Ulis played 37 minutes, shot 5-10 from the field, 2-3 from three and 7-8 from the free throw line, to finish with 19 points, 11 assists and 4 rebounds. Murray played 39 minutes, shot 5-10 from the field, 4-6 from three and 7-10 from the free throw line, to finish with 21 points, 8 rebounds and 4 assists.
NEW MOCK DRAFT
12. CBS Sports released their new mock draft yesterday, projecting the Celtics use their three first-round picks on the following players (in order): Jaylen Brown (F, California); Timothy Luwawu (SG, France); and Monte Morris (Iowa State, PG).