In less than a month a quite intriguing player will be absolutely free. He is 6-9, he's got long arms and has been selected several times for the NBA All-Defensive Second Team. He has a championship ring and an Olympic Gold medal. He used to play for quite a powerful team in the East but now all his teammates have been leaving town and have left him quite alone there.

Let's talk about Tayshaun Prince.

He is a player that can do a little bit of everything, learned to play D with the likes of Ben and Sheed Wallace, can shoot the ball and stretch the floor (37% career three point shooting) and can also play the PG in some game situations.

Versatile, skilled, unselfish, experienced but with still a handful of years in his NBA future. Low profile, ubuntu compulsive buyer and a winner.

Do you still want more reasons to believe Ainge should be at Prince's door come July 1st? I will give you yet another reason: Tayshaun played 6 full and complete seasons without missing any games. He is durable and healthy. I am sure Danny and Doc have Prince at the top of their free agent shopping list.

How the Celtics could get him:

Being unrestricted will obviously grant him quite many suitors over the summer. I believe the Celtics will be one of them and I am also sure that Prince will contemplate playing with us. He has played for Kentucky and Detroit, two winning programs. He is comfortable being a role player and I have problem finding a better suited player for the wing. If the MLE is still valid after the new CBA will be installed then it will probably be needed in its whole to lure Prince from all the rest of the offers. He is trully worth it.

Cons:

Signing Tayshaun would probably require our full MLE and that would prevent us to use that money on a center. That would surely force the Celtics to look for a trade in order to fill that need. Will Danny use his biggest economic asset for a forward after sending away our starting center for another forward earlier in February? I guess we will see soon.

I believe the Celtics should try and sign this player. It seems like a great situation for both the player and the team.

So what do you think, should the Celtics sign Tayshaun Prince?

Bohemian 6/04/2011 02:35:00 AM Edit

1. shelbyl says:

I've always liked this guy. But he can only play SF, right? If we get him, Green will be our PF? Is that gonna work?

JO-KG-Pierce-Allen-Rondo
    Krstic-Green-Prince-West

Not enough.

Can we send Big Baby to a maturity camp, please?

2. Josh Ratcliff says:

I believe Prince can play the 2 as well. I mean he can guard 2 guards like Wade & Kobe I don't see why he couldn't .. He is a basketball player with good size length and athleticism I think he could play the back up 3 and 2 at times, pretty much there both wing positions I think he could handle that

D12-KG-peirce-ray-rondo
    Krstic-JO-green-prince-west..

exciting..!

4. Tayshaun would be nice, he could fit into the mold of getting more athletic at the 2,3,4 positions. Prince can still run the floor well and finish over defenders. He's esspecially versatile because he can guard a couple different positions, and handle the ball a bit.

Sign me up.

5. Nicholas says:

Definitely.....I love Prince!

6. JK says:

@jesse said it best: "I always looked at Prince as a poor man's Scottie Pippen, and Scottie is one of my favorites."

7. pinsla says:

injury prone, pass
    younger and more athletic is the need for boston

injury prone? Dude has played 3 straight seasons... No games off... Shuttup

If you have seen him in the past two seasons, he is starting to have back issues. So there is a small risk here, but the dude is a great player and someone I wanted on the Cs after Posey left! Might be two years too late on this one.

Not enough minutes to go around. I'd prefer a scorer like JR Smith. We already have Green.

He costs to much!
    His salary for 2010/11 season was $11,148,760

12. He would be a good addition.
    Obviously there are younger players out there, but he brings a veteran & championship mentality.
    I wouldnt mind signing Prince.

Should have tried to get Prince on February.

OH WELL, I love the list of 'Green Target' so far:

-Jamal Crawford
    -DeAndre Jordan
    -Chris Paul(not so much, but it's fun to imagine)
    -Tayshaun Prince
    etc.,

^ JR Smith too

we need a fucking center...............................now.......

16. Celtics will probably target a big man in the Draft, then make a play for Deandre Jordan.

Dwight Howard ( 82 - 0 ) LOL !!!!

Tayshaun Prince would be a good fit no doubt. However it is not going to happen, for two reasons. First you would be admitting getting Jeff Green was wrong, and second you still need someone in the middle who can board.

Yes to Prince!!!

If you ask me, I'd say yes to prince. He's a great player. I'd get rid of Glen Davis...I don't know how many other fans are with me on this, but I think he's worthless, and he showed us that during the playoffs, that is, when he even played. Jeff green has been acquired at the wrong time, in my opinion. We do NOT need more young guys who don't know anything about the celtics. We need role players to fit around the big 3. More James Poseys and Leon Powes. Not more Jeff Green's and Big Babies.

Would rather have Prince than JR Smith, that's for sure...guy can still play, the $$ will be the deciding factor though...does he want to play for a contender? Or go to a team that is going to wallow in obscurity because he's getting a few more bucks?? Time will tell...

the C's need a SF that can guard james or wade or bosh, miami is a tough team, so the C's need to be prepared for the revenged next season.. GO GREEN.. get howard... :)