WEEI

Sports Illustrated NBA writer Chris Mannix checked in with the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to talk about the Celtics and Thursday's NBA draft.

Mannix said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will not shy away from dealing any player in order to avoid a slow descent into mediocrity, and he noted that even the team's young star, Rajon Rondo, has been the subject of trade talks in the recent past.

"I think he's talking about moving everybody. I really do," Mannix said of Ainge. "I've had conversations with different people around the league; I would throw Rajon Rondo on that list as well. … He has explored dealing Rajon Rondo in the past. He has talked to other GMs about him in the past. I'm not saying he's been willing to pull the trigger in the past, but Rajon Rondo has been on the table in the past year or so.

"This is just something that Danny does. He's not afraid to make the blockbuster deal if he thinks it helps him in the long term. So, I think Danny is absolutely working the phones right now. I think every one of those guys is on the table for a potential deal that he's sure is going to help him.

"This goes back to what I thought the second after Doc Rivers signed that five-year extension," Mannix continued. "Doc didn't sign on for five years to be part of a team that just decomposes as it goes back to the Gerald Green era from a few years ago. He believes this team is going to be able to contend in Year 3, 4 and 5, when presumably Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen are gone. But to do that, I think Danny is going to have to shake up the roster. And I absolutely believe, right now, before the draft, after the draft, in the offseason, whenever he's able to talk to these teams again once the lockout is lifted, he is going to be aggressive on the phone lines trying to improve his team."
If you recall Ainge has at least three times previously tried to trade Rondo. Once in 2007 for Robert Swift (as part of the Ray Allen trade) and twice again in 2009 with Ray Allen for Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince (the other offer was Rondo for the Kings' lottery pick).

As I warned in my column last night, be careful with what you wish for saying that Danny better not trade KG or Ray. If he's not trading one or both of them, Rondo is going to be traded. Ainge told Red he should have traded Bird or McHale. Rondo is not an untouchable to Ainge. And if you think we're getting Chris Paul back for him, think again. You'll probably be very underwhelmed with what we get in return.

JR 6/22/2011 06:36:00 PM Edit

1. Luis Tobar says:

TRADING RAJON WOULD BE SUCH A CRAZY AND STUPID IDEA!!!!! C's fans WANT Rajon to stay in the team and give us a lot more championships! DON'T TRADE RONDO!

Danny is an ass if he make this trade

If He trades Rondo he dumb as hell

4. thekid21 says:

somewhere red auerbach is turning over in his grave....

Danny better not be serious with this... Rondo is one of the best players we've had. If this happens I will be pissed. Highly.

6. If he trades Rondo he should get fired...he's already a dumbass for the perk trade but if he trades Rondo look out because i'm sure the Celtics would loose tons of fans

7. Robert Swift's Tats says:

Entertaining

Dont make another stupid decision.. after the perk trade i thought he should of have been fired but if he get rid of rondo he should be banned from the league

9. Sam says:

Storm in a tea cup. Seems like Ainge is just saying nobodys untouchable.

From an ass**le like DA , i expect everything!!

My English isn't great but you say:

"And if you think we're getting Chris Paul back for him, think again"

So the Celts are getting Chris Paul for him?!! I can actually start to think this :p

12. Dking says:

Danny is F####ing stupid! Apparently he dont like Rondo if he has tried to trade him before. Let me just say one word PERKINS!

13. I agree with the Perk trade part. He should NOT trade Rondo. Yes Rondo has his days & may not seem as sharp of a player sometimes, but if you look at his career you will see a potential player of pure greatness. All he really needs is a three point shot and I say he'll be fine. Rondo is young & still has room to learn, can't forget that. I mean after his performance in the semi finals with his elbow, that definitely should show how much he deserves to stay a Celt and play on with his family. He needs to be right where he is & that's in BOSTON !

Uh TB. No.
    Think more along the lines of Rodney Stuckey or the Kings first round pick. Possibly Wally Szerbiak, Sebastion Telfair, and Raef Lafrentz as well. Maybe a conditional 2nd round pick.

15. So basically the only 'safe' player is Pierce?

If Ainge trades Rondo, Boston will look like Vancouver. Ainge might get attacked fans at games. Some crazed fans might riot on/near Ainges home/property. Lol - this isn't unlikely. He already shocked the world when he traded Semih - oh yea, and Perk, no telling what he will do next.

Ainge, please don't be a retarded ass hole. Don't trade any of our core 4 guys.

Can't Wyc fire Ainge? Lol (if any of the Big 4 are traded - he needs to be fired immediately. He will need to leave Boston and never show his face their again.

Lol ok I'm done :)

16. Rlasba says:

danny ainge is a BITCH

17. Rlasba says:

and Mannix your an idiot

Chill Guys. DA is still the man who created the Big Three.

danny ainge is a stupid imbicile. if he triews to deal rondo.

Are u serous for trying to trade Rondo.!!!! Man somebody fired that fagged who already traded perkins.
    If Rondo leaves Boston I will never be a boston fan again...

DONT TRADE RONDO.....!!!

trade allen keep kg and rondo

22. QD says:

So TParker's not safe in San Antone, RR's not safe in Beantown, Mr. Kardashian's not safe in Hollyweird... guess that's the life of an athlete. I'll take it all with a grain of salt, and see how everything pans out in the end. At this point I won't be surprised of anything.

Unfortunately the careers of our big 3 will be coming to an end in the next few years. But if DA trades Rondo he's a moron! Keep the big 4 together and bring in the new younger "supporting cast" players and let the seasoned champions teach and guide them. If we do that hopefully we'll never have to completely rebuild our team ir our bench.

RONDO SHOULD NOT BE TRADED HE IS A GREAT PLAYER..

Why he is the GM of the BOSTON CELTICS? Ainge is more idiot than his mother(and his mother is very, very, very, very, very idiot).

Doc wouldn't let it happen..he signed under conditions..

27. paul says:

Rondo has greatness in him. He should be untouchable. If he isn't, we need to get rid of Ainge. Fast. Before he can do any more harm.

As for Doc, he's an owned company man. He'll say what he's told to say and do what he's told to do. Sadly. No integrity in that suit.

Why is everyone still bitching about perkins he sucked when he came back and he sucked for OKC that was a great trade you morons will figure that out when he averages 5 and 7 and green averages 16 points next season... Rondos not going anywhere either he's just shopping him around in case an unbelievable offer comes around

If Rondo get traded, I will no longer watch Basketball

I hate that this is even talked about...this is an idea tha shouldn't even be entertatined! He should be building AROUND Rondo, not trying to shop him around. He IS the future.

31. Sanchez Spicy Wiener says:

WOW!!! Celtics fans can't spell for shit.

32. Liam says:

So we want to trade a guy who plays through a dislocated elbow for a guy who sits out every niggly (is that a word) injury?
    I can kind of understand the perk trade, but if Ainge trades Rondo i will be pissed

33. QD says:

Looks like the grammar/spelling popo's have come to patrol... a lot of the C's fans first language isn't English, so I think it would be safe to take into account that they may have trouble spelling. Not sure who you're a fan of, but I can guarantee you that all of them wouldn't rank high in the Scripts Spelling Bee either.

34. Danny Ainge is just jealous that he wasn't the best on the Celtics, so now he wants to make the Celtics bad. I'd rather trade KG or Ray Allen instead of Rondo because he's young and very talented and maybe could be the best one day and kg and Ray Allen? There are so many questions if they are going to retire soon, they're old! Danny Ainge I think is a very bad Gen. Manager 1. We lost the rookie of the year Joe Johnson 2. Jeff Green for Perkins 3. Al Jefferson along time ago.

35. And I hope he sees this. I want to let him know where his trades and all those mistakes he's made have put the organization, the fans, and maybe himself in.

Get rid of Danny he's sick

The only people I'd want to trade Rondo for would be Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and a Steve Nash-combo (meaning Grant Hill or Jared Dudley is included).

Come on now rip me everyone! How could I be a Celtics fan and say that! Its blasphemous! I must not be a real fan!

With that said I don't think Rondo is going anywhere which is good because the Celtics need him. He runs a great offense, is a terrific passer, a very good defender and an outstanding rebounder.

I just realized there is a lot of people in boston that don't crap about basketball. Danny is one of the best, if not the best in the NBA. He has been in the NBA for a very long time. He has won championship with the celtics, he knows what it take to win championships. I'm not trying to bash rondo, but the kid has a lot to work on his game. Once the big 3 is gone. He's not a good enough player to carry the celtics. He's offensive game is terrible. He does two things well, pass the ball and play good defense. if danny can trade him for chris paul or westbrook. it would be a great trade for the celtics. i would love to see it happen. We need to give danny more respect in this town. He's the reason why we got banner 17th. Go celtics.

I meant to say. There is a lot of people in boston that don't know crap about basketball. up above.

40. Grammar/Spelling popo says:

Just saying if you're gonna leave a comment calling someone else a dumb ass you should at least not misspell every other word. I knew Celtics fans weren't the most intelligent people but this blog confirms it. Thanks!

41. QD says:

Anon after tb, please explain how RR's offensive game is terrible. No he's not a great shooter, but I wouldn't call that terrible on offense. He's proven that he can score on many different occasions. Now I'm not gonna lose it over the discussion of him being traded but when you make statements that don't make sense, I will question it.

42. QD says:

And then you say trade for Westbrook... did you watch the playoffs this post season? Westbrook is good, but seriously. He killed his team several times, he doesn't know his role and that would definitely hurt any team.

43. lol - Somebody really came here to complain about grammar like this is English class or something. This post is about Rajon Rondo, Danny Ainge, and the Celtics. Everyone makes spelling mistakes so grow up.

& @Anon who made the trade Rondo for Westbrook comment - Go kill yourself. Westbrook is just another Derrick Rose, but w/out a jump shot. He takes/misses SO MANY shots late in games that he puts his team in huge holes/or makes his teams' lead dwindle down to nothing. Please never state that trade idea EVER again in your life. Thank you.

If you trade Rondo we as CELTICS fan we wont spend no money at the td garden...... As KG AND ALLEN IF YOU TRADE THEM FORGET ABOUT #18 BANNER...AND THE LOCKOUT WILL START IN BOSTON......DANNY TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU ARE SMOKING SOME GOOD CRACK... GET RID OFF BIG BABY AND PLAYERS DONT CONTRIBUTE DORK

45. "DANNY TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU ARE SMOKING SOME GOOD CRACK."
    ROFL!

46. QD says:

Grammar/spelling popo, still don't feel comfortable stating the team you follow, I see. Like I said, I'm sure they're not at the top of their game either... don't generalize. I love when people insult other people anonymously.

47. Rondo>DFlower says:

i read all the comments and there really weren't too many misspelled words. the grammar on some of them was off, but the spelling was fine. and trading Rondo for Westbrook would be like trading Michael Jordan for Eddy Curry. (exaggerating)

I don't think rondo should be traded :( He's extremely competent!!

fuck i want semih back but captain dumbass (da) would never

50. mgballer3 says:

TB- thats real..
    Trade Rondo For Chris Paul.
    Then Trade Big Baby and Jeff Green to ATL for Josh Smith.

Starting Lineup
    Chris Paul
    Ray Allen
    Paul Pierce
    Josh Smith
    Kevin Garnett

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
    2012 Sign Dwight Howard and Bring KG off the bench
    DO IT!!!

If Rondo practiced his shot during the off season the Celtics would have been in the finals this year.No excuse for still shooting bricks from 10ft and beyond at this stage of his career

52. Three Toe says:

theres nothing wrong with seeing what you could get by trading him. there's no need to freak out, especially since half you people freaking out are little girls with high-school crushes on Rondo, I'd have thought you'd love the idea of shopping. just don't trade unless you get better. it would be tough to make up for the tremendous talent lost at the PG position though if we did trade Rondo, but not impossible.

About 40% of our visitors come from other countries, so can we stop with the calling people out for spelling please. Everyone is welcome here. You try spelling everything correctly in a foreign language.

Now back to the topic at hand. Danny could learn a thing or two from how Red ran things. Loyalty counts. didnt he learn anything about how he screwed over the team chemistry in midseason and they were never the same. Players are people, not robots. A trade means moving your family. It wouldn't hurt for Danny to say, " hey Rajon your the future of this team. You're not going anywhere.". He might just play better then.

Ronnie Grandison can do it all, include spell everything right in foreign languages!

Trade Rondo for Westbrook WTF I can't believe pple would suggest this idea
    the guy goes 7-22 every fucking game and never goes to the best player on the floor KD. Stop making nonsense please
    If Rondo gets traded, I'll start the lockout in Boston myself. I'll turn the garden into Vancouver LMAO

56. QD says:

Hey, Ronnie Grandison he has a basketball academy here in Cinci. LOL S/O to the Nati.

And some of you are just being asinine with these trade ideas now. I know some are hypothetical, but I really think that some of you are serious. Let's leave it to the experts or at least to the people who actually make reasonable sense.

Dont trade ray kg or rondo! Get a better bench! and a real post threat! oh yeah get rid of DA now!

58. Grammar/Spelling popo says:

Lmao!!! Yo QD I'm just flipping you guys some shit. I could care less about grammar. And if you must know I'm a Sonics fan (ouch!) You're welcome for Ray Ray. Just kidding. The Celtics are great but if you could get CP3 or Deron Williams then get them. But Westbrook? I would stay with Rondo.

i think the only way i would trade rondo is packaging him with jeff green and big baby, for cp3, ariza and landry. BUT STILL, i'm highly skeptic about it. that could be another perkins trade although talent-wise upside for the celts is really evident in this trade.

holy christ people...all the hate towards Ainge...if it wasn't for him, the Celts never would've won the god damn '08 Title..and almost another in '10...the man knows what he's doing..he's the GM of the Celts..not you or your brother or your f'n mother..he's doin' his job and if that means trading a high named player, then so be it..BUT, with that said..this is all speculation right now..off season talk..calm yourselves down...and for all the fools bitching and complaining about the damn Perkins trade...OMFG!!!! HE WAS NOT SIGNING BACK AFTER THE SEASON!!!! Ainge got what he could for him at the deadline..Perk was gone either way..he wanted more money then the Celts could offer him..so quit your crying..just remember, this team blew before the '07-'08 season..just be happy we have 1 title since then.

61. ^^
    Somebody seems angry. lol

Anon, we all know Rondo has not been traded, we are all (well, most of us) basically saying is that we would definitely be upset if Danny traded Rondo - as would you.
    Yes we know that Danny brought in KG, Allen, and the rest of the players that won us a championship in 08 - but just cause he did that doesnt mean you HAVE to give him all good praises. The Big 3 will be gone within the next 3 or 4 years (Im sure Ray will go last - when ever he decides to show some age) and when they are gone Rondo is supposed to be our future center piece that we build around. Thats why people are upset/freaking out. We know he hasnt been traded (yet) and we hope he DOESNT get traded.

Why trade a top 5 point guard if we wouldn't even get a top 5 point guard in return. There is nothing wrong with our core right now, we just need to add a few pieces around them and make our final stand.

63. Rondo>DFlower says:

Danny Ainge doesn't get ALL the credit for getting KG and Allen. Kevin McHale helped give us KG. so he gets just as much credit as Ainge. and i don't hate Ainge. i understand he's doing his job. i just disagree with some of his choices. but he did a great job helping get KG and Allen, he did pretty good getting Rondo, and drafting players like Delonte West, Tony Allen, and Kendrick Perkins. and now Perk and TA are gone because Ainge wouldn't pay them. So some things Ainge did are great, and some things he did are bad. and to anybody who wants Ainge gone is too busy looking at all the bad choices Ainge made and completely ignoring the good ones. Ainge is a decent GM, but he isn't perfect. but i doubt you'll find anyone better if you fire him, so i'd suggest keeping him while you have him.

64. josh says:

I think there's a difference between "exploring" and on the trade block. I think danny is just seeing what he can get value wise. If a rondo for cp3 was swap was on the table I would do it in a heart beat. But danny knows what he's doing. (To get dwight howard)

For crying out loud you people are acting like Danny runs the franchise worse than Pitino or Wallace. Now those guys were terrible... A billionaire once told me if your are 100% successful in everything you try then you are doing something wrong. Risk/upside = mistakes, you can't play scared.

Did he whiff w/ Perk->Green maybe, but its not like Perk was a difference maker for OklaCity, Tyson Chandler made him look like Mark Blount. And its not like the C's could afford him next year anyway.

The next 2 drafts and trades are about securing the next Big 3 with a run at Dwight Howard and I don't see Howard wanting to come here for Rondo, Green, Bradley and a 35yr old Pierce. Now if Danny some how manages pry CP3 and another player like Bogut (who for some reason is rumored available) then Howard may be more inclined to leave a tax free state. If that costs Rondo and whoever - so be it.

66. makki says:

what a fucker. I'm so done with the C's if he trades Rondo,as well. Not that anyone would care, but I can identify myself with the club because of hard-working players like Bird, Perks, Rondo and Pierce. If he now trades Rondo after trading Perks (and being one of the main reasons why we didn't win the title this year) then he really deserves to be fired.
    He really is not a good GM tbh. Look at the age of Allen and Garnett. As sad as it sounds but he better trades them in order to get younger and building up something. Trading both of them might be very interesting for teams to get below the salary cap in the next season.
    Howard for Garnett and a pick, and Allen for somebody else.
    This would help us much more than trading away someone who can read the game like no one else can.

67. makki says:

and regarding the rondo cp3 talk.
    Paul might be able to shoot, but his defence and his playmaking skills are worse than Rondo's. I'd prefer getting some shooter than a PG without knees.

Why do people continue to bring up this myth that the C's couldn't afford Perkins???
    We own his Bird rights. We could pay him whatever we so desired and with the new CBA that's coming where salaries are going way down I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't have gotten him for like 4 years 26 million or something.

As it stands now we are in dier (however you spell that) need of a center and will have to overpay someone who's not even as good as Perk.

69. makki says:

The "we couldn't afford Perks anyway" statement is Ainge Propaganda. Perks didn't ask for a monstrous amount of money. Neither did TA.... he just makes it seem like he did everything possible to keep them.

i like danny from over the many years of being a celtic fan. from the days of bird on up to now but i dont understand why the rondo issue would even come to mind? if the players of the game can get old, so can the "management" when it comes to making good decisions for the team. maybe the whole boston celtic organization needs to take a look in ward and truely take a vote on such a decision. - MD -

71. Danny says:

If this were to happen I would personally drive from California to his office and kick him in the balls so hard his son would flinch. I have HAD it with Ainge's trades and acquisitions since 08'. No House, TA, Posey, Perk in the line up anymore. Players that either anchored or sparked play off the bench. Players we NEEDED in this years run. His moves make him far from a mastermind. AINGE-gaurd your nuts and look for Cali plates if you entertain this idea any further.

72. Danny says:

Mind you, I have been a Celt fan since this guy was playing on the same court as the original Big Three.

Better trade DA!

I don't think Danny will move Rondo, cause he is Doc's extension, and our system works through him.
    But I don't see anything wrong with testing the market, just to know what you have.

There has been rumors of trading rondo,jermain,and bradly for CP3

Any link anonymous??

77. baha says:

I think danny need to go

honestly we should keep al four core guys do you guys forget how many time Ray has saved agme for us do you forget how dynamite of a scorer Pierce is and KG is KG hes the shit. e shouldnt trade any of these guys especially rondo since right now rndo is the engine and the reason the celts declined the second part of the season was due hemistry once all thse new guys wer brought in AInge dont be adumbass man!

79. Gigi says:

@tb727 I never liked any of your comments you weirdo.

@Gigi you are cancerous to this blog and to the internet

Are you kidding me!?!?!? Trading Rondo!?!? He is the future of the Celtics. He's really the only reason why they made the playoffs this year. Trading Perkins Was down right DUMB. And trading Rondo would be straight up RETARDED! I honestly don't think Ainge has and fucking idea what he is doing. He's and idiot.. If he trades Rondo I'm not going to be a Celtics fan anymore. Ill be a fan of what ever team Rondo goes to.

any* An

YEAH DON'T TRADE ANYONE, WE ALREADY LOST PERK. AND THAT WAS A STUPID IDEA. IF YOU GUYS TRADE ANYONE IT'LL BE A HUGE REGRET. Please don't trade ANYONE at all on the Celtics. It's been good so far. !

now there saying that they are going to trade Rondo and Big baby, for westbrook and harden. Thats a good trade, even though we all want rondo to stay but this is a bussines