This week in What the Hell Happened To, we go back very recently to remember Brandon Hunter.  Hunter was the 56th overall pick in the 2003 draft by the Celtics out of Ohio University and he'd wind up making the team that fall in training camp.

He'd wear #56, and would appear in 36 games that "transition" year of when Danny Ainge officially took over running the team from the Buffoon.  Brandon actually played in 3 of the 4 games in that year's playoff debacle vs the Pacers.  [Tangent time: looking back on those games, that really was a lowpoint as being a Celtics fan.  Just 2 seasons removed from that miraculous run to the Eastern Conference Finals, they were totally annihilated by the Pacers, and some of the final scores didn't look as bad as the games.  I remember seeing that ass-whooping and thinking that the Celtics were years away from being contenders.  Thankfully it'd only take them 4 years to win a title!]

Just like Jerome Moiso, I figured it'd be easier to give an image snapshot of Brandon's basketball odyssey (not that I disliked Brandon nearly as much as Moiso; I actually liked Brandon, and if Moiso played with half-the-heart of Hunter he may have lasted longer in the league):

I remember watching Brandon play and Tommy being high on him (not that Tommy has done this before for a mediocre Celtic).  Brandon definitely had a tenacity to him; he just wasn't particularly skilled and less athletic (and probably shorter) than Glen Davis.

Today Brandon plays for Ventspils Klub in Latvia in the LBL.  As you can see from their site, they even attempted translating Brandon's name into Latvian as "Brendons Hanters."  So I suppose I could have titled this article "What the Hell Happened to...Brendons Hanters?"  My question is are we allowed to do the same for Andris Biedrins, he of Latvian Fame?  If so I say we name him "Andre Birdrych."  Andre, as we know, is an American name.  And Birdrych sort of sounds like the old baseball player Mark Fidrych, whose nickname was "The Bird."  Plus Biedrins sort of looks like a bird.

Lastly: This isn't Brandon Hunter lol.

For a list of all the "What the Hell Happened To" Series please click here.

tb727 5/15/2011 12:01:00 AM Edit

1. Junior Burrough says:

Informative.

Hanter's reaction when they changed his name in Latvia: "What the Hell Happened to...Brandon Hunter? You can't just butcher my name!"

Nice of the Magic and Bobcats not to waste film on new pics with Hunter in their respective uniforms.

Yes, he's playing in Latvia (I'm from Latvia). In finals game 2 he was monster.

4. GeeZeeCeltics says:

Latvia rep hard! :)
    They translate every name here, I believe. Don't think it's something to make a fuss about though.

Hey americans- you are already translating Andris Biedrins in american name. His name is BIEDRIŅŠ not BIEDRINS like you are calling him!!!
    Do you remember such a hockey player, as you were calling him- Sandis OZOLINSH? His real name was OZOLIŅŠ not OZOLINSH!

So don't be foolish and don't look for problems where ther are none!

I liked Brandon Hunter quite much back then. He just fought some. Wasn't Chucky Atkins a Celtic back then? Or did we have Mike James as a starting PG? Jeez...hard times :)

By the way, we should then write Nenad Krstić and Aleksandar Pavlović too

Last Anonymous I don't even know where to find that key on my computer.

:D

The author of this article has made it look so slick :D

If he wants to translate Andris Biedrins into americano, then it is nothing like he puts it. Could be Andris Membery or Andris Friendy :D

This is the biggest SHIT What I have read!

tHE Author is a bitch ass licker and likes to masturbe when he sees Brandon Hunter. What the problems you have? Small brains definitely, Brandon at this time is like a great monster and plays ir Latvia!!!! He is one of playas who play not do stupid things like this author, so get my black dick in your ass and yell like Andris Biedrins.

Jūsu nezināšana amuses mani, ja Jums izlasīt rakstu autors faktiski uzslavām Brandon Hunter.

I don't understand all the negative comments TB gets. It's not like he's ripping Hunter or anything. I like this weekly segment of the site.

I know I actually explain how I like Hunter. I think the translation sarcasm isn't registering with people from Latvia. I'm not knocking Biedrins or anything, I actually like him as a ball player too.

I just think sarcasm doesn't translate well. When you're facetious in English it doesn't make sense in foreign languages. Vice versa too.

If we would trying to translate Brandon's name it would look like this ''Brendons Mednieks''. It's hard to explain! Your ''e'' to us is ''i''. What did that guy who wrote that article and called Brandon ''Brendons'' didn't translate the name. It's grammer difference! But if you would call Andris "Andre Birdrych" to us it would look like dissing his name! Latvians knows the difference because english is international language and almost everybody knows it, but you don't understand latvian language, so if you want to know the difference, please, learn latvian language and than do new article!
    P.S. i hope you get my point, but if not, i am not mad, because it's really hard to explain it in foreign language, so all i can say...if you want to understand the difference - leran latvian language! ;)
    Best wishes!

Jeez...people need to calm down. There's nothing wrong in TB's article. He just points out something about Hunter's name in Latvia, but there's no criticism of it or sarcasm. No need to feel offended.

As usual, the Anonymous comments are so brave. Just ripping someone's work...so easy to criticize and destruct something and so difficult to build something valuable. Sad.

To the brave Anons out there (there are also nice ones, but I don't refer to them with the following statement): Get a life and relax!!!!!!!

Good article TB! :)

16. Jeremiah says:

Those were definitely some dark days. I knew it would take some shrewd moves and another horrible year for us to have even a chance of rebuilding. Luckily, some things worked out for us. However, since there wasn't much to like about that Celtics team, I did reallhy like Hunter. I remember Charles Barkley even compared Hunter to himself, when he grabbed a ton of boards during the playoffs.

ock nach bicosh click click oooh iiy iiy