With this offseason looking to be a long one due to the impending lockout I figured why not start a feature on players the Celtics could legitimately target this offseason. So for the first "Green Target." we're going to go with 2006/2007 Rookie of the Year, Brandon Roy.

How the Celtics could get him:
Once the owners and players come to a new collective bargaining agreement, one thing is for sure is that salaries are going down. There might be a hard cap, but more likely the cap number/ luxury tax threshold will decrease. One trade off will be a one time amnesty clause for teams to rid themselves of one hideous contract. This has happened already once before in recent times (C's waived Vin Baker). For the Celtics this time the Amnesty Clause won't help them out much, since we don't have any long bloated contracts, but we could take advantage of some surprising free agents. Brandon Roy would almost definitely be one, and since he would still be allowed to retain the more than 50 million he has left on his contract he should be able to be signed for the MLE.

(Pros and Cons after the jump.)

Pros: Brandon Roy when healthy is a top 10 NBA player. He can create for himself and his teammates. He could add to our bench what Jason Terry has for the Mavs all these years or Jamal Crawford has in recent years for the Hawks. If his knees hold up, he could also give the Celtics another playmaker in the starting line-up and Ray Allen could be the offensive weapon off the bench. As seen by his 18 point late game heroics in the 1st round vs. the Mavs, Roy still has a lot of game left.
Cons: Even though Roy will only be 27 next season his knees are shot. He essentially has no cartilage left in either knee. He could get hurt again and have to retire. Also, the C's have a major hole at the center spot and tying up the full MLE in a guard would mean Danny would have to get very creative to fill the center void.

Check back soon for another "Green Target."

JR 5/31/2011 04:15:00 PM Edit

1. bballee says:

With his knees, you would have to look at him as a one-year stopgap. I am dead set against adding this type of vet-for-the-push this off-season. If you want to take a chance on an injury, I'd rather gamble on Oden's health. Roy is not a question of whether, but when.

2. QD says:

When I took the vote it was tied between having a big, and of course they should. Me personally, I chose sign a big(although I'm sure they'll be able to sign more than one player).

At the end of the day, I believe it's too big of a risk. I can understand that they're wanting to go for the title next season(if there is one). I just don't want to see another Shaq situation. Play great during the beginning, everyone is big on him, then BOOM!!! Anyone seen Roy, all throughout the shoutbox. =^)

Oh, and is Roy supposed to come off the bench. Seriously!?!? He had issues with this at the end of the season.

For some reason I think someone is going to break the bank for Oden and we'll be priced out of the bidding. There's always at least one team that will pay a ton to young centers with potential. And Oden still has a ton.

Good call on the bench issue QD. That was one of my cons I meant to add, but I forgot to. I think all former stars have trouble at first accepting a bench role.

Well, with Oden the question is if. If he's gonna be healthy (or at least JO healthy).
    But yeah, you can say Roy is basically gone already. Much like 'Sheed was when Danny signed him, although Roy's issue is more physical and 'Sheed's was more psychical.

6. dekko says:

If the owners get a low hard cap there will be NO exceptions. And Boston will be scrambling to get under the cap.

7. QD says:

@JR, I just remember reading about him being hurt about playing time or something like that, and that was just a small amount of time, just imagine an entire season.

Lol at that vid, the faces of the guys on Dallas bench(@4:57) says it all.

From Portland I'd rather have Oden and apparently he is on the Celtics radar (as Wyc mentioned the other day). With that said, Roy is a great player and I would give him the MLE if he was available too.

I'd choose one of them for sure if they were made available.

By the way, great idea JR. I miss Celtics games so much...

Bohemian you can do the next one if you like. I also have to send you a picture I've been meaning to forward to you.

10. Roy would be an excellent addition for the Celtics.
    His knee health is what concerns me - and plenty others.

11. dave says:

save the dough, ask KG and Pierce to take less money and sign dwight on 2012

Yao Ming!!!

Yao Ming would make an interesting Green Target. If any columnist wants to do one on him that would be cool. Just use the label "greentarget"

I don't think that it would be a good idea to sign Roy, or Yao, for that matter...do we really need a repeat of this past season? These guys were excellent players when they were healthy, unfortunately, they can no longer stay healthy, therefore, they aren't worth the risk required...also, Oden is more than likely going to re-sign with Portland, and even though he has been an oft-injured player so far in his career he is one guy that I would be willing to take a chance on...

Narlee; Give me greg anytime,i'de rather take a chance with a maybe. What I still can't get over is the blazers had to know about Roy's knees at signing, who's going to give someone 65 million dollars without a comeplete physical

roy and oden are going to re sign with portland, zers are ballin, watch out.