The NBA has changed.  Gone are the days of Bird and Jordan . Everyone is friends with each other now. Players are opting to join forces with each other rather than trying to beat one another. David Stern has created a league where any sign of emotion can warrant a technical foul. The league is becoming soft.

But then you have a guy like KG. In my 25 years on this earth, I have never enjoyed watching a player as much as I do Kevin Garnett. The intensity he brings to the court every night is absolutely amazing.  All he cares about is winning. He doesn't care about being friends with the other players. He talks a lot of smack on the court but doesn't say anything off it. He knocks his head against the foam padding of the basket before every game.  He pounds his chest not to say look at me, but rather to pump up himself and his teammates. He is the leader of the best defense in the league. He loves the game so much he can't even sit on the sidelines during games when he is injured. Who else is like that? The answer of course is no one these days.

It's easy to forget to appreciate certain players.  We don't realize that in 5 years, when we are watching some 22 year old more concerned with his Twitter status than his jump shot, we will yearn for the KG's of the world. I imagine it was like that with Bird. I know it was like that with Jordan when he retired(the 1st time). I just kind of figured he would always be around and it was a shock when he was gone. Appreciate your favorite players. Remember these guys aren't around forever.

Karl Dillinger 1/25/2011 02:16:00 PM Edit

1. Banner 18 says:

Wow. Nice article, Karl..
    I wish players wouldnt age cause i dont ever want to see Kevin retire!! His years are numbered now (id say he has 3 or 4 years left)..we just have to enjoy them while we can..

2. Tim says:

Kevin is probably the most valuable powerforward to his team because he is better than Bosh who could only play well when he took half of his teams shots and could put up 20 against bad teams. And Gasshole got pushed around in 08

3. shelbyl says:

OK, so when I saw that title in the RSS feed, I had a heart attack. I cannot tell how many terrible scenarios played in my head in less than 5 seconds.

Phew.

Besides that, a nice touch. :)

4. celticfam wordaapp says:

Title so scared the hell out of me. But awesome piece. Really happy someone wrote about this

5. In a season of injuries like this one, you should NEVER write a title like that again. Nice article, by the way. :-)

6. Oh snap. Never even thought about that angle. Sorry guys! I guess that's a good way to grab the attention of people,haha.

7. Jeff Sheppard says:

Entertaining

I really like the part about the 22 year old guy who cares more about his twitter page.. Extremely true! That thought is so scary
    Nice post!!

9. Tessa says:

True. There will never be another KG, and the league is becoming softer/more consumed by money and fame than quality basketball... But there are some bright spots. Take Kevin Durant for example- he QUIETLY signed an extension with OKC this summer with none of the drama surrounding other big names this summer (they need not be mentioned here), stayed with the Thunder for less than he could have gotten else where AND stayed with a team that may someday become a contender, but is certainly not one now.

I read the article because of the title. So wise for only 25.

This article is so right...well done Karl.

I must admit I got scared for like 3 seconds...then I realized what was going on ;)

You celticslife fans are really paranoid!

Is Norman Dale for real? He says he is from ME, and my mother was born in ME. I still think he is one of Karl's old high school friends in disguise just out to get him. I am convinced of this.

14. krista says:

this was a great article. for a person like me who gets nostalgic for things 5 minutes after they end, i pretty much already miss kg and he's still here. i hate change haha, i will enjoy this team while we have it for sure.

15. C3ltics says:

I got a lotta respect for KG. He is so passionate. There aren't many players like him in sports.

16. Tim says:

Having watched the Celtics be as terrible as they were for years and zero rivalries still alive from the 80's I appreciate every bit of it. Seriously considered jumping off a cliff when we got that #5 draft pick in 07 but the way Ainge put together this team is incredible.

Different breed of players today. They have no sense of winning or being passionate for the game. Today's players all want to play together; no one wants to be the leader of team or franchise, and try to carry that franchise to a higher level.