I must admit: I've never been quite so unsure as to how a free agent signing would work out.  Usually something makes total sense (like when the Flakers were gift-wrapped Gasol by the Buffoon.)

I'm trying to look at this as objectively as possible, which is tough being a huge Celtics fan.  So I've done some brainstorming and here is my take on the Shaq signing (which should be made official tonight or tomorrow):

Negatives:
  • Can't defend the pick and roll to save his life.
  • Has always been a starter.
  • Big ego.
  • Teams he's left recently have improved (Phoenix) while the one he's gone to got a bit worse (Cleveland).
Positives:
  • C's have a gaping hole up front with Perkins being out for most of the year and Rasheed retiring.
  • He's the best big man left out there (I'm sorry but even at this point he's a better player than Kwame Brown).
  • Celts got pounded on the boards vs the Flakers in Game 7.  With the biggest player on the floor, perhaps they don't give up all those offensive rebounds.
I don't know what to make of this.  Obviously I hope it works out for the best.  How do you feel and why?

tb727 8/03/2010 08:19:00 PM Edit

bad move! overpriced, his ego can break a team and he's an a$$#@&%. (sorry for the word)

Please don't sign him danny please!

we need fast & athletic defenders! not corpses!

2. sonya says:

If doc can whip him into slightly better mental and physical shape, this will be a successful signing

3. Chuck Schick says:

If he signs for the vet minimum, this is a steal. Name a better big man, or shut up.

4. Mike Smreck says:

Me!

5. Chuck Nevitt says:

Me too

6. Stanley Roberts says:

You see my hand being raised?

7. Benoit Benjamin says:

I am thoroughly better than Shaq at this juncture

Surprised 29% have voted for #1 Kind of a diss on Perk.

9. ThomasJ says:

I don't know how you could vote #1 if you've watched him the last couple seasons.I guess denial kicks in when he becomes a Celtic.

Doc will be recognized as the second coming if he can resurrect this giant stumbling corpse.

The only difference he would have made in Game 7 would have been the bonus rest time for our vets while the pools of lard sweat were mopped up.

lol at that image ThomasJ! I just wanted to make the point that in this year's playoff during the 3 games Perk missed time due to ejection or injury the Celtics were 0-3, while in the games we had Perkins for all 4 quarters the Celtics were 15-6. Also the previous year, without KG, Perk really stepped it up in the playoffs and we almost made the ECF.

Perkins is a huge loss and Shaq at this stage of his career won't make up for his loss. It's an insult to Perk to say Shaq is the best center KG has played with. Probably to Rasho Nesterovic too, but we're not talking about him. lol.

11. ThomasJ says:

Your right, choice #1 with the current Shaq is an insult to Perk and Rasho. Also Olowokandi, Felton Spencer, Cherokee Parks, Luc Longley, and even Oliver Miller. lol.

LOL. TB needs to start doing WTHHT's for Wolves players. I'd start with Spencer.

57 people so far think Shaq is better center than Perk. Screw them, they must be blind. We'll have to give him the same luxury as tb gave to 'Sheed and wait until the end of play offs to know whether he was a help or a burden.

14. Swen Nater says: