Around the NBA 1/7: 11 things Celtics fans should know from last night, including fallout of Celtics loss to Pistons
As the Celtics were suffering yet another devastating loss, this time against the Pistons, there were 20 other teams in action. Here are 11 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets were idle last night. At 10-25, they have the third-worst record in the NBA, and are only 2.5 games ahead of the Lakers pace, who has the second-worst. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves lost to the Nuggets last night, which snapped Denver's six-game skid. My apologies if you happened to catch the fourth quarter of this game, as the two teams combined for only 21 points. With the loss, they 12-24 and tied with the Pelicans and Suns for the fourth-worst record in the NBA. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Therefore, this pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the fourth, fifth or sixth pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks beat the Pelicans to improve to 21-15. Dallas increased their lead over Grizzlies for the fifth seed to 2.5 games, but remain two games behind the fourth-seed Clippers. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. Therefore, this pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 21st or 22nd pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Knicks beat the Heat 98-90.
5. The Celtics lost to the Pistons 99-94.
6. The Raptors beat the Nets 91-74.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/7
Boston 19-16 (2 GB)
New York 18-19
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
7. WINNERS: Cavaliers, Pistons, Pacers and Raptors
8. LOSERS: Celtics, Heat and Magic
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/7:
1. Cavaliers 24-9
2. Bulls 21-12
3. Heat 21-14
4. Raptors 22-15
5. Hawks 21-15
6. Pacers 20-15
7. Pistons 20-16
8. Celtics 19-16
9. Magic 19-17
9. Kevin Garnett played 21 minutes in the Timberwolves loss to the Nuggets last night. He shot 2-4 from the field and finished with 4 points, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.
10. Paul Pierce started in the Clippers win over the Blazers. Over 24 minutes, he shot 5-9 from the field, 5-6 from three and 2-2 from the free throw line. He finished with 17 points, 4 rebounds and 2 steals.
11. Jeff Green and Tony Allen started last night in the Grizzlies loss to the Thunder. Green, who played 25 minutes, went 3-12 from the field and finished with 10 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Allen played 29 minutes and finished with 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals and 2 assists.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Celtics @ Bulls
Hawks @ 76ers
Lakers @ Kings
Jazz @ Rockets
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz