Around the NBA 12/22: Things Celtics fans should know from last night
While the Celtics defeated the Timberwolves behind six players in double figures, there were 16 other NBA teams in action. Here are some things you should know from last night:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets ended their five-game losing streak with a road win over the Bulls last night. They are now 8-20 and hold the third-worst record in the NBA. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves lost to the Celtics and are now 11-17. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Given the depth of the winning records in the Eastern Conference, it is safe to assume this pick will NOT convey unless they find a way to make the playoffs and they are two games back of the eighth-seeded Jazz.
3. The Mavericks were idle and remain 15-12 on the season, but moved into a tie for the fourth seed with the Clippers losing to the Thunder. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. If the season were to end today, they would receive the 18th or 19th pick and it would therefore be conveyed.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Nets defeated the Bulls 105-102.
5. The Celtics beat the Timberwolves 113-99.
6. The Knicks lost to the Magic 107-99.
Atlantic Division as of 12/22 Toronto 17-12
Boston 15-13 (1.5 GB)
New York 14-15
PLAYOFF STANDING WATCH
7. The Celtics are in 10th place in the Eastern Conference playoff race. They are one game back of the eighth seed, as well as the sixth and seventh.