Around the NBA 12/21: Things Celtics fans should know from last night
Here are some things you should know from last night:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets lost their fifth in a row last night as they were defeated by fifteen at home to the Timberwolves and are now 7-20 on the season. With the loss, as well as the Pelicans 130-125 win over the Nuggets, Brooklyn has the third worst record in the NBA, which is something they have not had for quite some time. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves won their second straight by beating the Nets last night. With the win, they moved to 11-16 and only a game back of the eighth-seeded Jazz. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Given the depth of the winning records in the Eastern Conference, it is safe to assume this pick will NOT convey unless the Timberwolves find a way to make the playoffs. With the Pelicans win over Denver last night, Minnesota moved into a four-way tie for the ninth slot with the Nuggets, Suns and Kings.
3. The Mavericks were idle and remain 15-12 on the season, which is good for the fifth seed in the West. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. If the season were to end today, the Mavericks would receive the 18th pick of the NBA draft and the pick would be conveyed to Boston. However, they are only 1.5 games removed from conveying the 16th pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Nets lost to the Timberwolves 100-85.
5. The 76ers lost to the the Cavaliers 108-86 to move to 0-17 on the road this season.
6. The Raptors lost at home to the Kings 104-94.
Atlantic Division as of 12/21
Boston 14-13 (2 GB)
New York 14-14
CELTICS PLAYOFF STANDING WATCH
The Celtics are currently in the 10th slot in the Eastern Conference standings. I am going to begin providing recaps of the teams surrounding them in the playoff race (gap of 2 games or less).
7. The Hawks defeated the Magic 103-100, which moved them into a three-way tie for the fourth seed.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 12/21 (Seeds 4 through 10)
Hornets 15-11 (0.5 GMs back)
Pistons 16-12 (0.5 GMs back)
Magic 15-12 (1.0 GMs back)
Celtics 14-13 (1.5 GMs back of 8th and 2.0 GM back of 4th)
8. Kevin Garnett started and played an incredibly productive 10 minutes of basketball in the Timberwolves win last night. He finished with 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.
9. Rajon Rondo played 39 minutes in the Kings road win over the Raptors last night and completely outplayed All-Star Kyle Lowry. He finished with 19 points, 13 assists, 5 turnovers and 2 rebounds.
WHAT'S ON TAP FOR TONIGHT?
Timberwolves @ Celtics
Kings @ Wizards
Magic @ Knicks
Blazers @ Hawks
Nets @ Bulls
Hornets @ Rockets
Thunder @ Clippers
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz