1/01/2016 02:20:00 AM
As the Celtics were home trying to figure out what happened on Wednesday night, 12 NBA teams took the floor last night. Here are 7 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets, at 9-23 on the season, were idle last night. With the Pelicans losing though, their lead over the third-worst record in the NBA shrunk to one. They also remain 2.5 back of the Lakers and the second most ping pong balls on draft night. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves lost to the Pistons, moving them to 12-21. Combined with the Jazz win, they moved three games back of the eighth seed. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Therefore, this pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the sixth or seventh pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks, at 19-13 on the season, were idle last night. They still hold the fifth seed in the West. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. Therefore, this pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive either the 21st or 22nd pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
No games scheduled.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/1
Boston 18-14 (1.5 GB)
New York 15-18
EASTERN CONFERENCE STANDINGS WATCH
4. WINNERS: Pistons
5. LOSERS: Pacers
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/1:
1. Cavaliers 21-9
2. Hawks 21-13
3. Raptors 20-13
4. Bulls 18-12
5. Magic 19-13
6. Heat 18-13
7. Pacers 18-14
8. Celtics 18-14
6. Marcus Thornton played 26 minutes off the bench the Rockets loss to the Warriors last night. He finished with 10 points.
7. Paul Pierce started and played 21 minutes in the Clippers win over the Pelicans 95-89. He shot 1-6 from the field and finished with 5 points and 6 rebounds. He was plus-nine on the night as well.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Magic @ Wizards
Mavericks @ Heat
Hornets @ Raptors
Knicks @ Bulls
76ers @ Lakers
Photo Credit: AP Photo/Gerald Herbert
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/01/2016 02:20:00 AM