12/19/2015 01:05:00 AM
As the Celtics continued their worst stretch of basketball this season in a home loss to the Hawks, there were 22 other teams in action last night. Here are some things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets fell to 7-19 after losing to the Pacers last night. However, they remained tied for the third worst record in the NBA as the Pelicans lost to the Suns. Now on a four-game losing streak, the Nets are only three games behind the Lakers for the second most ping pong balls on lottery night. The Celtics own the Nets 2016 first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves got a much-needed home win last night over the Kings. With the win, they are 10-16 and only 1.5 games back of the eighth-seeded Jazz. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Given the depth of the winning records in the Eastern Conference, it is safe to assume this pick will NOT convey unless the Timberwolves find a way to make the playoffs. Thus, as of today, this pick would NOT be conveyed.
3. The Mavericks moved to 15-12 following a win over the Grizzlies. With the victory, they are now in sole possession of the fifth seed in the West and only one game back of the fourth-seeded Clippers. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. If the season were to end today, the Mavericks would receive the 18th pick of the NBA draft and the pick would be conveyed to Boston.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Celtics lost to the Hawks 109-101.
5. The Knicks defeated the 76ers 107-97 and the Atlantic Division is once again a three-team race.
6. The Raptors beat the Heat 108-94.
7. The Nets were defeated by the Pacers 104-97.
Atlantic Division as of 12/19
Boston 14-13 (2.5 GB)
New York 13-14
8. Rajon Rondo started and played 36 minutes in the Kings loss to the Timberwolves. He finished with 11 points, 13 assists and 4 rebounds. However, he ultimately hurt his team more than he helped them (if you believe in plus-minus) as he was minus-13 on the night and they only lost the game by four. Kevin Garnett started as well and played 21 minutes. He finished with 2 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 blocks, and was also plus-8 for the game.
9. Paul Pierce came off the bench in the Clippers loss to the Spurs last night. He played 8 minutes and finished with 3 points and 2 rebounds, and was also a team-worst minus-14.
10. Jeff Green started and played 35 minutes in the Grizzlies loss to the Mavericks. It was a vintage performance for Mr. Green as he went 0 for 7 from the field and finished with 2 points and 7 rebounds.
WHAT'S ON TAP FOR TONIGHT?
Bulls @ Knicks
Clippers @ Rockets
Pacers @ Grizzlies
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
12/19/2015 01:05:00 AM