Summer league day 4 action today in Orlando as the Rockets knocked off the Celtics 85-78. I've now watched 240 minutes of Celtics summer league action over the past four days, and therefore I think if anyone has the ability to judge Tim Abromaitis and Phil Pressey, it's me.
|Click to enlarge box score|
- Kelly Olynyk struggled a bit on defense but once again starred on the offensive end, scoring 19 points on 8-14 shooting while adding 10 rebounds and 2 assists. 'Big KO' as he's called showed off an array of mid-range and post play after it was apparent that he didn't have the feel from deep (0-5 3 PT). He seemed more aggressive today than at any other point this week, grabbing 6 offensive rebounds and getting to the line six times. I, like everyone else, am extremely impressed. Excited to see him against the big boys in a few months.
- Phil Pressey is an absolute pest on defense, and always one of the fastest players on the floor. Unfortunately his aggressive play leaves him extremely turnover prone on offense. He had 4 more turnovers today in 26 minutes, giving him 15 this week. Pressey has a legitimate shot at the back-up point guard spot in Boston, but he absolutely needs to take better care of the basketball.
- Colton Iverson was fantastic today. He scored 5 points and grabbed 8 boards in just 18 minutes, once again causing me to yell at my TV, "WHY THE HELL ISN'T IVERSON PLAYING MORE!!". I mean I know that the C's have to spread out the playing time, but their 2nd round pick only playing 17 MPG? Perplexing. Iverson is strong, athletic and a good bet to give D.J. White and Shavlik Randolph everything they can handle in the battle for the last big man spot.
- Haven't talked about him all week, but Tim Abromaitis was good in this one, shooting 6-13 from the field on his way to 14 points and 5 rebounds. The former Notre Dame swingman only shot 2-7 from three, but has a pretty stroke. He won't make the team, but still worth a mention.
- Sigh. It's Fab Melo time. 10 minutes played, 1 point, 0 rebounds, 1 block, 2 fouls. As I mentioned in the open, I've watched all four games the Celtics have played, plus a few others involving other teams this week. Of all the players I've seen, many of whom will never play in the NBA — Melo is the worst. He just flat out didn't box out on three possessions in a row in the 3rd quarter, and is as weak on the glass as any 7'0", 260 pound dude you'll ever see. Everyone knows that his offensive game is poor, but if he complements that with an inability to rebound, and below average defensive instincts — he has zero chance at ever contributing to the Celtics. I've never been lower on Melo than I am right now (and I thought he was a terrible pick at the time).
Ok, Celtics are off tomorrow, back at it Friday. See y'all then.
Follow Mike on twitter - Mike_Dyer13
For more of my articles, click here. Michael Dyer 7/10/2013 06:58:00 PM Tweet Edit