Quantcast

I'm shocked
Here's a snippet from yesterday's great article by Jackie MacMullan on ESPNBoston:
Count veteran Ray Allen among those who can't believe West chose Indiana over Boston with such a slim difference in compensation.

"I'm shocked," Allen said. "I don't understand it."

West was a two-time All-Star for the Hornets, the first during the '08-'09 season when he averaged 21 points, 8.5 rebounds and 39.2 minutes a game. Paul lauded him as an unselfish player who was willing to do the "little things" to help the team win.

Allen first heard of West's potential interest in Boston last month when Allen was playing golf in Augusta with his private banker, who coincidentally also handled West's financial affairs.

"He told me how much I would love [West], that he and I were the same kind of guy -- cognitive thinkers," Allen said. "He said West was interested in coming to the Celtics and would be willing to come for less."

So why does Allen think West had a change of heart?

"Once it got down to the end, I think his ego kicked back in," Allen said. "He wanted the dollars. I guess it comes down to 'What is a championship worth to you?'

"Think of all the guys who have made $20 million and could be considered one of the best ever, but they get chided because they never won. We [the Big Three] all had to do less when we won. We're still taking less to make it work. But it's worth it. No one can ever say to KG, Paul or me, 'You guys never got your ring.'"

This is all part of a larger point that MacMullan makes about Boston's inability to lure free agents. A topic Chris Mannix also addressed yesterday. 

Ainge worked his tail off to bring Chris Paul here this offseason, knowing that in the NBA you need a superstar to reach your goal. Ainge's best offer, in the end, wasn't good enough. With Dwight Howard likely heading to New Jersey, LA, or Orlando the Celtics future is cloudy.

MacMullan concludes:

...with Paul off the market and Dwight Howard expected to follow, either to New Jersey or the Lakers, Boston could well be left holding a big sack of cash with nobody to spend it on.

Maybe that's the best explanation of all why West isn't in Boston.

Mike Saver 12/21/2011 09:24:00 AM Edit
_________________________________________________________________________________________
« Prev Post Next Post »

More Celtics News via Bleacher Report


More Celtics Life Features

Click here for Celtics videos.

Click here for Celtics wallpapers.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

comments powered by Disqus

7 Responses so far.

  1. shelbyl says:

    I understand why people don't want to commit to Celtics right now. Big 3 era is coming to an end, and there is absolute uncertainty as to what will happen after.

    Boston also is not the city for glamour seekers. Humbleness is not the most attractive characteristic in today's world. (I sound like an grumpy octogenarian, but you get my point, hopefully)

    I can see why Celtics cannot successfully pitch at the moment. But it is not going to be like that for years to come, things will change once the certainty sets in and stars with Durant's personality emerge.

  2. Jenda says:

    There's always hope they just decide to kick the stars in their clenched buttcheeks and win it all. They are capable of doing that. I believe KG is going to come up big, he's going to play like it's his last season.

  3. Anonymous says:

    FUCK DWEST FOR PICKING MONEY OVER CELTICS
    INDY WILL GO NOWHERE!!!!!!!! FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

  4. Tity.boi says:

    They call me tity boi cause im a only child n sucked my.mommas tity. 2 chainz.....2 timez

  5. Beantown says:

    I don't know why everyone thinks it's a given Howard is going to New Jersey. I think we all know how this rumor mill works, it's 25% reports that are true and the other 75% are people trying to make a name for themselves by creating a story. Kind of like Steven A Smith saying that Kobe was going to demand a trade. In my opinion that was a pathetic attempt by ESPN to drum up interest in the NBA after a lot of people got turned off by what was going on in the league.

  6. Tim Tebow says:

    so y'all don't wanna come to Boston ey... well... goodluck ring-hunting. there's only two sides in a coin... money or greatness

Post a Comment

    Powered by Blogger.