Yesterday Bill Russell was in town to humbling accept the statue that is being built for the 11 time NBA Champion over 40 years after he retired. Never once did you hear him complain that he didn't have a statue. In fact Russell has basically become the nicest man alive (Channeling my inner Karl Dillinger). You'd think over on the left coast a former center like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would be showering Russell with praise right? Wrong. He's whining, "Where is my statue?!"

ESPN

Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who won five world championships as a Los Angeles Laker and remains the NBA's all-time leading scorer, believes the franchise owes him a statue outside Staples Center and feels "slighted" that it hasn't already happened.

"I don't understand (it). It's either an oversight or they're taking me for granted," Abdul-Jabbar told The Sporting News in a recent interview. "I'm not going to try to read people's minds, but it doesn't make me happy. It's definitely a slight. I feel slighted."

"I am highly offended by the total lack of acknowledgement of my contribution to Laker success," Abdul-Jabbar was quoted as saying. "I guess being the lynchpin for five world championships is not considered significant enough in terms of being part of Laker history."
Stay classy Kareem. The funny thing is that according to a Lakers spokesman Kareem has even been told he's next in line to get a statue. Demanding your own statue is kind of like making up your own nickname...cough Black Mamba cough. Slow your roll Murdock. And you wonder why no NBA team has given this man a head coaching gig?

After the jump, check out Bill Russell graciously accepting his statue honor.

JR 5/18/2011 01:26:00 PM Edit

1. Jeff Grayer says:

They should build one in Milwaukee.

2. If Kareem gets a head coaching gig before me I'm going to be pissed!

My right hand does the letter L and presses against my forehead.
    5 is not 11, Lakers aren't Celtics, you can't ask for praise like that and hope to be admired.

4. QD says:

Wow! Yeah that is classless and childish(he got one, now where's mine)to demand a statue. I can understand maybe feeling a littel under-appreciated, but to make public comments like that is a bit unnecessary. Now, even though someone stated that he was next in line, when he receives his statue this BIG white elephant will be stinking up the room, along with a "tiny" bit of comtempt. I'm sure.

Yeah QD. I would think Kareem's statue announcement would be sort of awkward now.

6. QD says:

Oooh I spelled little wrong... Yeah JR I'd like to be a fly on the elephants arse to check out the faces in the room that day. =^)

7. QD says:

DAmn, all the "Jabber" talk took away from the vid... Congrat's to Mr. Russell, very gracious indeed.

8. Mamba says:

Yeah, Jenda youre right the Celtics arent the Lakers....Celtics did all their damage before the modern era....since the modern era what have you guys had? 3 4 ships lol please Lakers are a better franchise and its not even close

5 of the Lakers championships belong to MinneapolisMamba . You don't see the Thunder claiming they're going after their 2nd championship this year do you? Boston 17, Los Angeles 11

And Boom goes the dynamite.

11. Allan says:

...and the Lakers' first 5 championships were won when the NBA didn't have a shot clock yet. How can one compare those 5 titles to the 11 titles Russell's Celtics won?

12. I like how Bill chooses his words so politely but he leaves it obvious with a hard laugh. "The city of Boston was...interesting" It was very "interesting" all over America in his playing years.

All credit to KAJ as he is also a legend and his story is also one of class and high character. But his timing could not have possibly been worse or more tasteless. I hope he clarifies or even apologizes.

13. kibitzer says:

"Joey: I think you're the greatest, but my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.And he says that lots of times, you don't even run down court. And that you don't really try... except during the playoffs.
    Roger Murdock: [breaking character] The hell I don't! LISTEN KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

No disrespect to him but that Airplane! picture of him sure was appropriate..LOL