Matt Steinmetz of CSN Bay Area reports that the Lakers will hire Mike Brown as their new head coach following the retirement of Phil Jackson. Steinmetz reports two sources confirming a four-year, $18 million deal for Brown. Previous reports had Brown close to a deal following owner Jerry Buss telling reporters that the Lakers were "very close" to a new head coach.

Brown brings plusses and minuses, as he is a stellar defensive coach respected by veterans like those the Lakers have. Conversely, Brown is also a questionable offensive coach, relying on offensive assistants for help in that area. He is known as a key motivator, which the Lakers could clearly use after a lackadaisical season. But there are questions about his ability to wrangle stars after the way LeBron James dominated the situation in Cleveland. Now he faces an even more ego-heavy locker room.
People bash Brown, but he did lead basically Lebron and garbage else to a few nice seasons. He's nothing great mind you, but I don't think he's horrible. That said, I'm very glad we have Doc Rivers on our sideline.

JR 5/25/2011 02:52:00 AM Edit

Thanks TB. lol

2. Lavar Postell says:

Informative

Every season this guy is outcoached in the playoffs. He's a good regular season coach but in the playoffs, it's about making adjustments. It's absurd thinking back to the 2010 series vs the Celtics that he didn't try using LeBron exclusively at the 4 for extended stretches. Any idiot with a tv remote could've thought that was a way to go.

Actually, I have about five remotes at home and I know that the only way to go with LeBron is TO HELL!!!
    Agreed on Doc. There's no way current Lakers beat current Celts with se┼łor Potato on the bench.

Yeah TB this idiot with his remote thought the same. I was trying to be kind to Brown saying he's not horrible. Not horrible could mean very bad. Then again if I really wanted to be kind I would have found a different picture. I think this hiring is good news for Celtics fans (and Heat fans and Thunder fans and Bulls fans etc)

Too bad for the LAL :))