I wrote a book.

Started the week after Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.

Motivated by the fact that I didn't want our team to go down just like that ... I was determined to let the whole world know who we are and what we are all about. It was hell when I started, since I already knew the aftermath and emotions were still at an all-time high. But as time passed, it became a meaningful experience.

After nine months of going back and forth at it, Everything But Belief is finally complete.

Below is an excerpt from the book. You may get a free chapter by following the instructions on its Facebook Page. Follow us on Twitter as well and stay tuned for its launch a few days before the playoffs kick in. I'm currently working on the site and once it's done will let the CelticsLife family be the first to know.

May this book spark passionate hope and continue to light a fire to the millions of bleeding green fans worldwide. Win or lose, Boston Celtics for life. - GA

-------------------------------------------
EXCERPT from Everything But Belief

It's probably a surprise to have someone write a book on a team that didn't win the championship. You've probably heard in the NBA, how the team who finishes 2nd is the same as the one who finished 30th. And runner-ups are rarely remembered.

Not this one.

They are often dubbed as the "worthy opponent" of the said champion for that year. Or the (eastern) conference champion, and that's just about it. In the end, most likely their efforts will merely be placed in history books, coupled with a few words of consolation, along with a summary that reads - "Lost in the 2010 NBA Finals".

Not this one.

At least, not for me. And most especially not in the hearts of those who truly bleed green.

The 2009-2010 Boston Celtics tells the story of a team that had the desire to win it all. Again.

Standing in their way were 29 other teams, with a handful who appeared promising to become the next champion and one who looked poised to defend the title.

More importantly though, they came face to face with their greatest opponent: themselves.

Revealing itself in the form of questionable age and unpredictable health, almost everyone knew it might well be their last season to play together and give a wholehearted run at the championship. And if they were ever going to show the basketball world what a true Celtic is all about, they would not just need physical force, talent or skill - but they would need a lot of heart. They would need to believe.

And believe they did.

This is a story of their journey told from the eyes of one of their fans - a writer, who in a way, felt like he was a part of the team, sharing its range of emotional struggles, losses, victories, and lessons learned inside the locker room or in a 20 second timeout.

And no matter what the outcome of the final score in that last and soon to be legendary game displayed, he knew it was all worth it - becoming a Celtic. Even from a distance. Believing and becoming a part of a team rich in tradition and teamwork. Believing that together, anything is possible. Believing that in the end, you can look back at all those moments with pride and know that it was definitely, a run to remember.

Gerald Alden 4/07/2011 02:02:00 AM Edit

1. kunzang says:

i hope u sell da book here...i will buy a copy for sure :)
    congratulations on da launch of ur book :)

2. I'm an avid reader and can't wait for it. That was a very memorable run for the team last year and I'd love to get the book! Congrats on finishing it. Can't wait to read it!

I'm very excited for you Gerald. Major accomplishment on your part. I also love the idea of reading a book from a fan's perspective, as well as a fan from so far away. I knew the Philippines was a basketball hotbed and I'm glad we have one the country's best writing on our site.

Fantastic stuff Gerald. Interestingly enough the 1987 Celtics had a video on them called "Home of the Brave" and they lost in the Finals too.

5. coco says:

interesting read from a true fan, win or lose. Congratulations! from one Pinoy to another ;-)

Gerald,
    I have to ask this. How are you able to make every line in every paragraph (excluding the last line) the exact maximum length? I've seen this in all your articles and its like a super power.

p.s. You might have to be using safari to see Gerald's super power skills. TB couldn't see it and was blaming his browser.

8. @kunzang and FLCeltsFan: thanks! CelticsLife will be the first to know when it's officially launched.
    @tb727: thanks for that tidbit. didn't know about that. better check that out!
    @coco: thanks! great to meet you here kababayan!

@JR: the philippines has one of the craziest basketball fans. many thanks and regarding your quetion, very simple. i log in blogger. scroll down at the bottom in the "tools and resources" section, click "blogger in draft". every time i edit my post, i highlight everything and click the "alignment" button (in between the "insert jump break" and "numbered list" buttons)... i select the last one (justify) - where it straightens my whole post.

that's what i use. easier and automated.

p.s. i usually use firefox when posting. i find that after i publish a post, i have to edit it again and justify the part after the jump break, because it somehow reverts back to "chaos mode" =)... a glitch in blogger.

9. Three Toe says:

Gerald was nice enough to share this with me and after reading it e-cover to e-cover, I have to say that it was a hell of a story. As I started reading, I thought to myself, "Why the hell do I want to go back to this season, where we ultimately lose?" But going through his recreation of the season quickly became quite gripping actually, for me. There were so many fond memories that were dormant until I read about them. Plus the writing style keeps you cruising right through the whole thing. At the end I found myself routing for the C's, even though I knew how it ends hahha.

10. Agree completely JR and Three Toe. I got a sneak peek as well and couldn't have been happier with it. Reading it definitely makes you relive the whole ride of the season.

Congratulations, that is a hell of a work done there! I feel honored that from today I can say I have read mr. Alden's works before he even wrote his first book.
    May that be a start to more things coming. I wish you good sales. Congratulations once again!

12. @ThreeToe, Stephen, Karl and Jenda: many thanks guys! glad to have that "big monkey" out of my back.