nba.com
The Boston Celtics announced today that they have signed free agent center Shaquille O'Neal. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

"It is not every day that you can add a player of Shaquille's caliber to your team," said Danny Ainge, Celtics President of Basketball Operations. "His past experience speaks for itself and we believe that he is a great fit for our roster."

"I am honored to be joining the Celtics," said O'Neal. "I have played against Paul, Ray, Kevin, Rajon, and Jermaine for many years and it will be great to be able to call them my teammates. I cannot wait to get to Boston to get started in pursuit of another championship."
Well there you have it. Before people get too excited it should be noted that Shaq is signing for the minimum for a reason. No other contenders wanted him and the Celtics first choice, Kwame Brown, turned down the same offer. The fact that Shaq was rated below Kwame Brown should temper expectations. Personally I think the O'Neal brothers tandem is a downgrade from Perkins and Wallace. Hopefully Perkins can come back at some point close to his previous playing level.

JR 8/04/2010 05:19:00 PM Edit

1. jmark79 says:

Well ... at least he's better than Kwame Brown. Lord help the Celtics.

WTF? People were excited about bringing Marquis Daniels back but not Shaq as a backup center?? WTF???? Seriously...

3. YaBoy97 says:

As a back up center he is the best out there despite his age.

4. Anike says:

Hmmm my only concern is the team chemistry. Im not too sure how willing he is to suppress his huge "been-dominating-the-nba-for-13-yrs" ego (his words not mine). Lets do a lil math. shaq = possible increase in rebounds and blocks. So defence is pretty much all hes good for at the moment right?! And Im sure danny, doc and the rest of the gang have analyzed exactly what role he would play given these limitations. But again its Shaq the person rather than the basketballer that Im hesitant about. The Celtics are a TEAM!...very tight knit. I guess the question is Shaq a WE guy or a ME guy? Can he forget the "I" he sees in WIN and focus on the TEAM!....only time will tell.!

5. mike says:

gotta love the big mans attitude- can't wait for the season to begin!!

6. Patti says:

Doc, Rondo, and KG will be running Shaq's ass off--hope he gets in better shape for us! I think it's hilarious but workable! GO CELTS!

7. YaBoy97 says:

Lol @ everyone voting for (I did that too) ''At least they didnt sign Shaqs corpse''

8. RoswellSounds says:

Well, it finally happened. We have been discussing about this for a month. JR, it was you who made that photo with Shaq wearing GREEN? It seemed like a joke back then, not necessarely a bad one...

The fat bastard needs to hit the gym and show that he has a small percentage of ethic in his WORK. Better not fuck with KG, man! ´Cause you´ll be seeing the backdoor in february with ice on your face! And learn how to move when you defend a simple P&R, please. Helloooo! Timing? Are you there?

Time to stop complaining, and get back to work. Dreams, go away! Lets begin the preparations, a hellish season lies ahead. GO CELTICS!

I think everyday for the rest of August, you should post that Shaq officially signed with the Celtics.

10. M Finley says:

Hey it's only fair I'm invited back right? I mean imagine us in 2003?!

lol @ M Finleys post. In 2003 this would be dream team. Except for the guys who were attending kindergarden back then which is the other half of the team.
    Anyway, if the O'Neals actually try a little bit in the regular season, they won't be worse than Wallace. Don't forget the guy was nauseating.

12. RoswellSounds says:

Hey hey! Don´t mess with Sheed, please. Remembre Bohemian´s post: "We all are Rasheed Wallace". We weren´t lucky enough to see the best of Sheed, but the respect and love remains... Wallace owned Orlando´s inframan in east finals, at 35...

13. ThomasJ says:

All you can ask for in life is consistency. I never liked Shaq as a personality or watching him play. That hasn't changed because a washed up Shaq signs with Boston.

Like I posted before, Doc should be recognized as the second coming if he can resurrect this load. If he couldn't be a playoff factor with all the hype joining James, what has he got left.

Nice press release, Danny. Why didn't he go after McGrady - it's not every day you can add a player of his caliber.

14. Karl says:

I still can't really imagine Shaq in a Celtics uniform. Good signing I think, still processing it all.

WHY IS HARANGODY NOT SIGNED? HE IS GETTING SIGNED CORRECT??