Yahoo!
The Boston Celtics have targeted center Brad Miller to sign in free agency, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Miller and guard Ray Allen are expected to be the Celtics’ two top priorities in free agency following the retirement of Rasheed Wallace and a knee injury to Kendrick Perkins.

Despite durability issues during his career, Miller played 82 games for the Chicago Bulls last season and could give the Celtics a rugged presence with an inside-outside offensive game.
I know some fans will be happy to hear this news about Miller. Personally, I think the last thing we need is another old immobile player. Not to mention Brad "Slimy" Miller is a punk (credit to Tommy for the nickname). I am happy to hear the following news though on Doc. Without him, I'd say blow up the team, but with him and an investment in a couple more weapons (Mike Miller and Micheal Beasley) I think we can make one more run. What it will come down to is how far Wyc will be willing to go over the luxury tax to bring in the talent to offset the age decline of the Big 3 (and Perk's questionable status).
The Celtics are still confident coach Doc Rivers will return for the final year of his contract, and he plans to make a decision this week on whether he will be back or join his family in Orlando.

Rivers has acted like a coach who plans to return. He participated in the Celtics’ draft preparation, and he had been working with general manager Danny Ainge to prepare for the start of free agency on Thursday. He has also had conversations with prospective candidates to replace Tom Thibodeau on his coaching staff, but that hire is on hold.

JR 6/27/2010 03:27:00 PM Edit

1. Conquistador says:

I agree with the comment about immobility and age, but I do like the physicality he might bring. What we really need is a time machine so we can abduct the Sheed of yesteryears.

2. Conquistador says:

Oh, I meant to pose this question in another article but forgot.. Do you think we run the risk of Rondo being the next Paul Pierce? In the sense that we have a great player surrounded by lack of talent for years and we go nowhere? Or are we going to assume that Ainge wants the Cs to be a powerhouse again and the proper decisions will be made?

Beasley's a punk and he has not showed up to the future star status he has yet.

4. Thomas says:

I'm encouraged about Doc coming back for one more year but going after a slug like Miller isn't going to help make a run next year.

Rugged doesn't mean much when you are washed up and immobile. I would hate to see Miller in green and KG would probably want to punch him in practice.

Why the obsession with veterans even when they are useless? We would be far better served with young legs like Beasley or Tyrus if he is free from Charlotte.

It would be a good pick up for the celtics but Miller’s not worth the entire mil level exception. the C’s should used part of that to pick up Brendan Haywood, for a chance at a ring he might be willing to take a paycut. They should vet’s minimum to add another bif for insurance like Drew Gooden or just their 2008 draft pick Semih Erden for less money, give Ryan Gomes a affordabable contract, sign Bradley and Harangody to their rookie contracts, resign both Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Nate Robinson and sign Kyle Korver or Eddie House. With That, Boston will have a nice balance of youth and experience
    pierce/Harangody/Ryan Gomes
    Garnett/Davis/Miller
    Perkins/Haywood/Semih Erden or Drew Gooden
    Ray Allen/Tony Allen/Korver or Eddie House
    Rondo/Bradley/ Nate Robinson
    With a lineup like that we can beat any team in the league

I like signing Brad Miller just because he kills the Celtics every time they play against him. Hopefully his nickname "Celtic Killer Brad Miller" won't stay true if he is on the roster.

Mike Miller would be a great add, but I would love to see JJ Redick in green if there is any way they could pull it off.

I think Miller is tough, plays good D and has a very nice shot...it's the typical Doc Rivers big (hopefully that means he will continue). I don't know why people complain about this rumor. Of course it is not enough to add him (we surely need fresh legs for the PF/C position) but someone like Miller fits perfectly in our team. I think it will be great for us to sign him. Of course he isn't flashy, his game is ugly and all that...but I thought we are here to win games not to be in the highlight reel of NBA's best plays

Also, the Herald mentions it may be time for another Miller, Mike. He would be another player who would fit like a glove here, his shooting would have been handy in the Finals.

8. ThomasJ says:

Put "had" in place of "has". Did you watch him this past season? Ugly players do not age well so let's move on.

Anonymous, if he has been killing anyone lately it hasn't been in an NBA game. His mug looks like "Serial Killer Brad Miller".

Brad Miller would be a great addition to the C's. Yes he may be aging but he is still a physical presence and would be great partner for KG on the defensive end.

Either him or Jermaine Oneal but Brad would be cool. Man can't wait for him to sign.

Oh and yeah, i agree to the other guy who said pick up Redick. He could be the next Ray Allen in the Celtics lineup. Either him or Mike Miller but i think JJ, if given his shots, can make more trey's than Mike

10. ThomasJ says:

I repeat - did any of you watch Miller with Chicago this year?

he'd be even more depressing to watch with no Perk to sub the washed up corpse.

I'd rather have Brad Miller than Shaq, but that's like saying one would rather have an itchy rash than an std.

I wonder what's up with Tony Battie? At least he would be a corpse I like.

13. Keith Peckerhead says: