The Boston Herald's Ron Borges writes an article today, calling for the Celtics to take revenge on Dwight Howard. Superman hasn't exactly been living up to his nickname. He's been by far the dirtiest player on the court this series. His elbow throwing has effected nearly every Celtic. Most recently, Glen Davis, who lost at least a portion of a tooth and suffered a concussion Wednesday night. Today, SawxBlog posted a video compilation of Howard's dirty Conference Finals elbows here. Borges says that this needs to stop and points to Kevin McHale taking out Kurt Rambis in Game 4 of the 1984 NBA Finals as a way to do it,
"...Rambis got up spoiling for a fight but his team didn’t, and what had once seemed like a Lakers blowout turned out to be a Celtics victory. They tied the series at 2 and ended up winning it in seven games....At the time, Cedric Maxwell explained what resulted when he said, “Before Kevin McHale hit Kurt Rambis, the Lakers were just running across the street whenever they wanted. Now they stop at the corner, push the button, wait for the light and look both ways.”
After the Game 5 loss, Garnett sounded Tedy Bruschi like, saying, "We are upset and we don't take losing lightly around here". They're going to need to bring that Linebacker physicality if they're going to close things out tonight in Boston. Not only to withstand Howard's elbows but to keep up with Orlando's pick and rolls and apply that same defensive pressure employed on their route to a 3-0 lead. Doc echoed this thought saying, "The team that's been the most physical has won the games. I thought it was us for the first three and I think it's been Orlando for the last two".

Whether that physicality will show up in the form of Shelden Williams giving some "hard fouls" to Howard (as Borges suggests) remains to be seen. However, as much as I'd like to see Superman take a couple elbows to the face himself, the Celtics suddenly have a depth problem with their bigs. The possibility of a suspension for anyone is too great a risk to take.

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Mike Saver 5/28/2010 01:08:00 PM Edit

1. ThomasJ says:

While I share his feelings, Borges mistake is comparing 1984 to 2010 in terms of physical statements. McHale would be ejected and suspended in 2010 - advantage Lakers.

Yeah I agree with Thomas J. McHale would be ejected and suspended for a minimum of two additional games nowadays. The only thing you could do is use a spare part guy like Scal or something. If we make it to the finals I fully expect Phil Jackson to use someone like MBenga to get into it with Perkins. That will give Perk his 7th technical and a suspension. Phil tried to mess with Dragic yesterday by having Sasha pester him.

I'm actually not as anti dwight Howard as many people are. Dikembe threw the elbows too, until the league prohibited him from doing that. Stern is enabling Howard. I don't think Howard purposely hurt Davis.

The funniest thing is that Mark Jackson and JVG always say it's not intentional...it's just so ridiculous! In game 5 Howard comes from behind and it is so clear that he INTENTIONALLY (once again) falls hard on Pierce and they still say it's not a flagrant!!!! come one Mark Jackson, you suck!

And I think Howard should be taught some stuff tonight, really. I am not saying that we should be particularly violent, but we should be tough and not allow any shot close to the rim. Let him get his points in FT's. I suppose we will activate Scal too...we can use his 6 fouls as well as Shelden's...that's 12 fouls available from the bench. Also it would help if Perk and Sheed have good games inside tonight, forcing him to get in foul trouble (if the refs allow all of this, which is a big IF)

And also, I just read that Baby will be available too :))

I hope they win tonight...Karl will be at the game!

7. ThomasJ says:

Yeah I would love to see some really hard message fouls on Howard tonight but they would have to come from somebody expendable and do we have that? Maybe send Scal in as a middle linebacker.

8. Green ='s Kryptonite

We need to play physical while staying within the game, I just hope the league's now aware of his antics...