There were a lot of questions surrounding Tuesday night's game at the Garden. Namely, how would the Celtics fare without Kevin Garnett in the line up? After being suspended for a (minor) scuffle with the Heat's Quentin Richardson, it was believed that Big Baby and/or Sheed needed to step up big. Well, Baby got the start and excelled in the heightened role, netting 23 points and was +24. Sheed? Not so much. While everyone else seems to have flipped their switch into second-gear, I think Sheed's still trying to find his.

Wallace's performance was only average Tuesday night - nothing to write home about. However, his numbers did improve with Garnett watching from home. Sheed played for 21 minutes, 7 more than in Game 1. The added playing time allowed "The Lazy Chucker" to net 2 more points than he did Saturday night, for a total of 6. He also contributed 5 defensive rebounds to Boston's 40 total. All positives, as slight as they may be. However, as it always is with Sheed, there were some negatives.

Rasheed did attempt a 3-pointer this time (which he missed, of course) and was -12 in the game. To be honest though, most of his negative stats that night weren't so much his fault. His most glaring issue (and what made me sigh the most) was that, in the first quarter, he was whistled for two fouls in about 30 seconds. One of which was a technical. However, both of these fouls were bad calls and deserving of his famous facial expression. Including the technical, Sheed totaled 4 fouls for the whole game. One of which came around 2 minutes into the second quarter when Shelden Williams decided to break to Arroyo, leaving Jermaine O'Neal with a wide open lane to the basket. Sheed was forced to foul him. Not his fault.

With Garnett out, many were hoping the Celtics' big off-season signing would show why he was brought here for 3 years. He didn't. But ultimately, he didn't have to. The rest of the Celtics were more than capable of handling the Heat in a blowout at the Garden. Still, Celtics fans are waiting for Rasheed to turn it on in the playoffs. This is the time that apparently gets him going. And so far, he hasn't. Though two games is a small sample, Boston fans have watched the apathetic giant slowly jog up and down the court all season long, turning in sub-par performance after sub-par performance. Sheed owes us a noteworthy, better than average game, and many of them.

Sheed Play of the Game:
With 9:57 left in the second quarter, Sheed missed a field goal but was bumped into by Udonis Haslem. This left Sheed writhing in pain on the court. He left the game and didn't return until the end of the third quarter....Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!

The Sheed Watch will continue the next time Sheed is expected to step up big or the next time he does. Suffice to say, this may be the last Sheed Watch.

Mike Saver 4/22/2010 07:42:00 AM Edit

When 'Sheed said he'd get it going in the playoffs, he didn't mean right away in the playoffs. He meant from Playoff game 29 and on. ;) I will say that 'Sheed's "Ball Don't Lie" is pretty effective. I feel like the first free throw after a questionable Wallace foul (I know to him all fouls are questionable) misses approximately 75% of the time. Maybe higher. lol. See i said something positive about "The Lazy Chucker" (t-shirts coming soon...)

2. Marylou says:

I wonder, does Sheed know he is called "The Lazy Chucker"? Maybe being old and not in good shape or beat up makes him not work very hard? Who knows??? If he doesn't step up or get his act together, there must be a way Danny can figure out a way to get rid of him before his contract is up.

I heard Rasheed's dentist calls him "The Lazy Brusher."
    Well it made me laugh at least...

4. hahah, that'd be a good shirt.

I love watching Sheed when he's out there. While he does run up the points, there he's fun to watch or crazy fun to watch??

Hahahahaha, JR will you do the "Lazy Brusher" T as well?

Sheed played with the reserves on the second half when the game was already broken. And on the first half he was on the court when Rondo wasn´t and when Ray still hadn't connected a shot...

Bohemian and TB,
    I think you guys should just ignore any columns that include the name "Rasheed Wallace." Unless you guys write them of course. I always feel the need to apologize to you guys whenever commenting on The Lazy Chucker.

I don't blame you guys for staying loyal to your guy. I've done the same for years with Rondo and Perk and when everyone was dogging baby b/c he broke his hand in the Fall, I didn't turn on him.

That said, I can't censor people from mentioning the truth (talking bad about Rasheed). I know you guys are big fans, but a lot of Celtics fans just can't stand him. Mainly do to his laziness. I don't even think people care as much about his selfish antics. It's the laziness that bothers us. And I can't speak for other sites, but the CelticsLife people don't blame all the Celtics woes this season on Rasheed. He's simply the poster child for the apathy we saw a lot.

Again sorry for the long comment, but I always feel the need to walk on egg shells when discussing Rasheed. He's my least favorite Celtic ever and I'm entitled to have that sentiment. Someone elses might be Blount or Antoine or Greg Kite or whoever and they're also entitled to that.

No problem JR, I really appreciate your concern but it's ok :) I don't get upset with other people's comments, it's normal and healthy to express one's opinions.

I still believe in Sheed because I've seen him play really well in the playoffs all his career. I understand that people don't like him, but I am a big follower of talented players and he has always been one. He has been in 155 playoff games and got his ring. He is also coming from the second unit and with KG back into the best shape of the season, Perk recovering some punch and Baby doing a great job it will be hard for him to get minutes.

Somehow, and at some moment he will help us big time, just wait ;)

Bohemian, I think we share a brain haha...

TB, are you saying you have half a brain? Wahahaha

I have less than half :D