Not too many guys make the NBA from the MAAC Conference.  AJ Wynder was one of them.  Wynder was born in the Bronx and played at St Agnes in Rockville Centre in Long Island.  After leading Fairfield University to two straight NCAA appearances in 1986 and 1987, Wynder had his chance of a lifetime with the 1991 Celtics.

That Celtics team was very good, as I've mentioned in the past arguably the best team Boston's had that didn't win the title in the last 25 years (they started 29-5 that season).  Wynder played in just 6 games and scored a total of 12 points.  His Per 36 minutes were 11 and 7, not too shabby actually.

The lack of AJ Wynder NBA photos online is staggering.  It puts Dave Popson to shame.  However I kept a scrapbook of the 1991 season and found the following picture in my collection:

This is an amazing picture.  Obviously you'll recognize Larry on his stomach.  But sitting above him from right are Ed Pinckney, AJ Wynder and Dave Popson!  Popson's not in uniform but on the Celtics bench, proving he did in fact play for them.  All the way to the left is Chris Ford's son who was the ball boy for the team.

Today AJ is the head coach for NC.  No, no, not that NC, but rather Nassau Community College in Long Island.  As you can see from his bio he's been there for 13 seasons and has actually put up a hell of a coaching record.  To watch him in action you can click here.  Congrats to AJ for his success as a coach.

For a list of all the "What the Hell Happened To" Series please click here.

tb727 2/07/2010 01:12:00 PM Edit

Our Week in Review camera man is now also working for WTHHT. LOL! Popson and Wynder together? Please frame that pic for me and send it to me for my birthday.

Your last line had me rolling.

LOL! Yes the Week in Review quality of imaging has not transitioned to WTTHT!

I'm actually looking through this and have a lot of great pictures I can share moving forward.

3. freshnthehouse says:

I loved that 91 team. They could've made some noise if they couldve stayed healthy. They had a real fun combination of old timers (Parish, McHale, Bird, Pickney) and new blood (Gamble, Brown, Shaw, Lewis). Plus throw in a savvy vet PG in Bagley, and Joe Kline was good for . . . 6 fouls a night, I guess, and you have a team with insane depth.

Wow! I had completely forgot AJ Wynder. That season we really had a very exciting team, too bad Larry wasn't 2 years younger because I think we would have made more noise at the end. AJ Wynder! my goodness! Good article TB!

I found a profile pic here :D

*forgotten, not forgot...my English grammar is ill this morning :P

Checking that site, I discovered some crazy names such as... Bart Kofoed???? :D:D

Bohemian wrote: "Too bad Larry wasn't 2 years younger because I think we would have made more noise at the end"

I'm scared we might be saying the same thing this Spring, but with KG's name instead of Larry's :(

Great find on the Wynder pic Bohemian. I think they just stole it from TB's scrapbook though ;)

freshnthehouse- don't forget Derek Smith on that team, more to come on him soon :)

Thanks Bohemian and great find on that picture! I do still prefer my scrapbook. I have some awesome photos from it I may do an article just on those pictures lol.

I prefer your pic too, TB! ;)

JR, KG will be 20% healthier come playoffs time...enough to get us back on track! We just need some health, rest and a couple of fresh new players

AJ was a before his time... Was a Great Great point guard... Had every tool. Was better than alot of guys playing minutes today... Like Steve Blake, Sebastian Telfair, several of the Wizards guards just to name a few

I don't doubt it whatsoever Anonymous. Guys back then were more polished as basketball players. They came into the league ready to contribute then and there, not based on future potential. The game's changed since the KG draft. And now guys like Jay Bilas get to talk about potential and wingspan...

I'm sure AJ would've run circles around Lester Hudson and Gabe Pruitt

13. Adelphi Alum says:

I hate when people post pictures larger than their original size. Better a tiny picture than a blurry one. And Adelphi alum would never do this.