Around the NBA 1/8: 10 things Celtics fans should know from last night
As the Celtics, without their leader and head coach, Brad Stevens, were playing against the Bulls, who entered the game 16-5 at home and on a five-game winning streak, there were six other teams in action last night.
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (10-25) were idle last night. They have the third-worst record in the NBA and, following the Lakers loss to the Kings last night, are three games ahead of having the second-worst. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves (12-24) were idle last night and remain tied with the Suns and Pelicans for the fourth-worst record in the NBA. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the fourth, fifth or sixth pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks (21-15) were idle last night and remain the fifth seed out West. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 21st pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. The 76ers lost to the Hawks 126-98.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/8
Boston 19-17 (2.5 GB)
New York 18-19
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
5. Winners: Bulls and Hawks
6. Losers: Celtics
7. Notable Change: With their loss to the Pistons, the Celtics are no longer in the top eight of the Eastern Conference and would therefore not make the playoffs if the season ended today. Although they own the same record as the current eighth-seed, the Magic, Orlando owns the tiebreaker.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/8
1. Cavaliers 24-9
2. Bulls 22-12
3. Heat 21-14
4. Raptors 22-15
5. Hawks 22-15
6. Pacers 20-15
7. Pistons 20-16
8. Magic 19-17
9. Celtics 19-17
8. Rajon Rondo returned to action last night, playing 36 minutes in the Kings win over the Lakers. He finished 4-10 from the field, with 9 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds and 4 steals. Sacramento is now only a half-game back of the Jazz and the eighth seed.
9. Brandon Bass played 36 minutes off the bench in the Lakers loss to the Kings. He went 3-3 from the field, 4-4 from the free throw line and finished with 10 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals, 4 assists and 2 steals. What. A. Night. He was also plus-17 in a game LAL lost by three.
10. Marcus Thornton played 18 minutes off the bench in the Rockets victory over the Jazz last night. He shot 4-9 from the field, made one three, one free-throw and finished with 12 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Raptors @ Wizards
Magic @ Nets
Cavaliers @ Timberwolves
Pacers @ Pelicans
Mavericks @ Bucks
Knicks @ Spurs
Heat @ Suns
Nuggets @ Grizzlies
Thunder @ Lakers
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz