Around the NBA 1/10: 11 things Celtics fans should know from last night, including a Ben Simmons update
There were 14 NBA teams and Ben Simmons in action last night. Here are 11 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets (10-27) lost to the Pistons. With the loss, their hold on the third-worst record in the NBA expanded to two games over the Pelicans, Timberwolves and Suns, who are all directly behind them in the standings. As for the Lakers and the second-worst, Brooklyn now trails them by 2.5 games. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves (12-25) were idle. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the fifth pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks (21-16) were idle. However, with the Clippers win, they are now three games back of the fourth seed in the West. Furthermore, with the Pistons winning, they potentially move back a spot in the draft from 20 to 19. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 19th or 20th pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
4. The Raptors beat the 76ers 108-95.
5. The Nets lost to the Pistons 103-89.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/10
Boston 19-17 (3.5 GB)
New York 18-20
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
6. Winners: Hawks, Raptors and Pistons
7. Losers: Bulls, Magic and Heat
8. Notable Change: With the Magic losing to the Wizards, the Celtics are back in the playoffs at the eight-seed.
9. Rajon Rondo played 29 minutes in the Kings loss to the Warriors last night. In his matchup with Steph Curry, Rondo finished with 4 points, 12 assists, 4 turnovers, 3 rebounds and 5 fouls, while Curry had 38 points, 6 rebounds, 11 assists, 4 turnovers, and 3 fouls.
10. Paul Pierce started and played 19 minutes in the Clippers win over the Hornets, who are reeling after a strong start. Pierce went 2-10 from the field and finished with 4 points, 2 rebounds, 2 blocks and 1 assist.
BEN SIMMONS UPDATE
11. LSU lost their first game of the SEC season yesterday to the Florida Gators, but Simmons had a huge game. His final stat line was 28 points (7-15 FG, 14-16 FT), 17 rebounds, 4 assists, 8 turnovers and 5 fouls. Although he was able to get to the free throw line, where he scored half his points, his mid-range jumper was shaky at best and the Gators tried to exploit that as much as possible. It is something he will need to work on before getting to the NBA, where the coaches and personnel are much more capable of taking advantage of a weakness.