1/05/2016 09:51:00 AM
As the Celtics evened up the season series with the Nets last night, there were 18 others NBA teams in action. Here are 13 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Nets lost at home to the Celtics, which moved them to 10-24 on the season. Although they still have the third-worst record in the NBA, they have a new primary chaser in the Suns, who are a now only half-game ahead of Brooklyn in the standings. The Pelicans are 1.5 games ahead of them. The Nets are also only 2.5 games ahead of the Lakers and the second-worst record in the NBA. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
2. The Timberwolves lost to the 76ers to move to 12-23. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. Therefore, this pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the sixth or seventh pick in the draft.
3. The Mavericks did not play and are 19-15, which is good for the fifth seed in the West. With the Grizzlies win over the Blazers, the lead over the fifth seed is down to one game. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. Therefore, this pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive either the 20th, 21st or 22nd pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS WATCH
4. The Celtics beat the Nets 103-94.
5. The 76ers beat the Timberwolves 109-99.
6. The Raptors lost to the Cavaliers 122-100.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/5
Boston 19-15 (1 GB)
New York 16-19
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
7. WINNERS: Celtics, Cavaliers, Heat and Pistons
8. LOSERS: Raptors, Pacers, Magic and Hornets
9. Notable Change: with four teams in the playoff race winning and four teams losing, there was a lot of movement. For the Celtics, they remain at the bottom of the standings, but picked up a game on two of the teams directly ahead of them and the three are now separated by one game. At the same time, the Celtics and the team teams directly behind them are separated by only a half-game.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/5:
1. Cavaliers 23-9
2. Bulls 20-12
3. Heat 21-13
4. Hawks 21-14
5. Raptors 21-15
6. Pacers 19-15
7. Celtics 19-15
8. Pistons 19-16
9. Magic 19-16
10. Rajon Rondo played 43 minutes in the Kings win over the Thunder last night and filled the stat sheet up. He finished with 13 points, 9 rebounds, 19 assists, 6 turnovers and 5 steals.
11. Kevin Garnett played 17 minutes in the Timberwolves loss to the 76ers and finished with 5 points and 2 rebounds.
12. Jeff Green started and played 29 minutes in the Grizzlies win over the Blazers last night. He shot 3-12 from the field and finished with 6 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks. Tony Allen played 27 minutes off the bench and finished 3-8 from the field, with 8 points and 4 rebounds.
13. Kevin Garnett started and played 16 minutes in the Timberwolves double-digit win over the Jazz last night. He made four of his five shots and finished with 8 points and 6 rebounds. He was plus-12 on the night.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Knicks @ Hawks
Bucks @ Bulls
Kings @ Mavericks
LSU VS. KENTUCKY - SIMMONS VS. CALIPARI
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/05/2016 09:51:00 AM