1/11/2016 10:41:00 AM
While the Celtics were suffering another meltdown against the Grizzlies, there were 16 other teams in action last night. Here are 13 things you should know:
2016 DRAFT PICK WATCH
1. The Celtics lost their third straight last night to move to 19-18 on the season. With the loss, they are now projected to be in the lottery and receive the 14th pick in the draft. However, the Knicks, Hornets and Wizards are all two or less games behind Boston in the standings, which means they are that close to being projected to receive the 11th pick in the draft, as well as the lottery pick they will be getting from the Nets.
2. The Nets (10-27) were idle last night. They are 1.5 games ahead of the Pelicans and Timberwolves for the third-worst record in the NBA, and are three games ahead of the Lakers and the second-worst. The Celtics own the Nets unconditional first-round draft pick.
3. The Timberwolves (12-26) lost to the Mavericks last night. With the Pelicans losing as well, they remain tied for the fourth-worst record in the NBA. Minnesota will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 13-30. If Minnesota's pick falls between 1-12, they will instead convey their second-round picks in 2016 and 2017. This pick would NOT be conveyed if the season ended today because they would be projected to receive the fifth pick in the draft.
4. The Mavericks (22-16) beat the Timberwolves last night to maintain their 1.5-game lead over the Grizzlies for the fifth seed. With the Clippers winning their ninth in a row, Dallas remains three back of the fourth seed. Dallas will convey their first-round pick to the Celtics only if it falls between 8-30. If Dallas' pick falls between 1-7, the conditional 2016 pick will become a 2017 first-round pick with the same conditions. This pick would be conveyed if the season ended today as they would be projected to receive the 21st pick in the draft.
ATLANTIC DIVISION WATCH
5. The Celtics lost to the Grizzlies 101-98.
6. The Knicks beat the Bucks 100-88 and now have as many wins as Boston and are only 1.5 games behind the Magic and the eighth seed.
7. The 76ers lost to the Cavaliers, who have quietly won seven straight, 95-85.
Atlantic Division Standings as of 1/11
Boston 19-18 (4 GB)
New York 19-20
EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS WATCH
8. Winners: Cavaliers
9. Losers: Celtics and Pacers
10. Notable Change: With their loss last night, the Celtics are once again on the outside-looking-in on the playoffs.
Eastern Conference Standings as of 1/11
1. Cavaliers 26-9
2. Bulls 22-13
3. Raptors 24-15
4. Hawks 23-15
5. Heat 22-15
6. Pacers 21-16
7. Pistons 21-16
8. Magic 20-18
9. Celtics 19-18
11. Kevin Garnett played only seven minutes in the Timberwolves loss to the Mavericks last night. He finished with 2 points and 2 assists.
12. Paul Pierce started and played 13 minutes in the Clippers overtime win over the Pelicans. He was 1-6 from the field, scored 3 points and grabbed 5 rebounds.
13. Jeff Green and Tony Allen started in the Grizzlies win over the Celtics last night. Green played 31 minutes and finished with 4 points (2-11 FG), 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 turnovers and 2 steals. Allen played 32 minutes and finished with 15 points (5-9 FG), 10 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 turnovers.
WHAT'S ON TONIGHT?
Spurs @ Nets
Wizards @ Bulls
Heat @ Warriors
Follow Max Sandgrund on Twitter @SotoSpeakz
1/11/2016 10:41:00 AM