But the right side has more frosting?
CBS Sports
After the dour disposition he exhibited after last week's meeting, Stern was all smiles Tuesday -- but cautioned reporters not to read anything into it. He described the meeting, about three hours shorter than the sessions typically have run, as "quality time."

"When I didn’t smile the last time, I was described as something between dour and surly, so this is my smiling face," Stern said. "And we had a … we’re looking forward to reconvening tomorrow."

Or, maybe it was the cake that I had delivered to the negotiating room (see pic below), which resulted in the requisite laughs on the sidewalk outside the Upper East Side hotel where the bargaining took place.

"Most important," Stern said outside the hotel, "we've saved the cake for breakfast."
Whoever came up with that cake idea is a genius. Last season the players' share of basketball-related income was 57%. The players have offered to decrease that their share to 54%. The owners are demanding it go down to 46%. Ironically if they split the difference of their latest offers, it would end up as a simple 50/50 split. So the cake makes a ton of sense. Just agree to the 50/50 split. Players will be making about 13% less than they did previously, which should be enough of a win for the greedy owners. But if you're going to ask them to take a 13% pay cut,eliminate all the talk about a hard cap please. 50/50. Get it done tomorrow.

Source: Ken Berger's column Fisher: 'Maybe we can put a deal together'

JR 9/27/2011 07:38:00 PM Edit

I believe we are close to the end of the lockout. All signs point to the optimism. Owners seem to want to get something done and the players are doing an effort too. Stern was smiling today (finally)...

Please get it done tomorrow as JR indicated :)

COME ON GUYS, LETS PLAY BASKETBALL.IT IS OUR GAME AS YOURS.YOU OWE US THE JOY OF THE GAME. WE LOVE NBA BASKETBALL.
    PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RUBEN

3. It's not like it is Football. Not everyone loves it. The main demographic it appeals to also think they are the only people on earth that matter so of course they are going to think it is the end of the world but a lot of the rest of us couldn't give 2 fucks.

Or even three!

if you don't care why you reading about basketball,you dipshitz

I love the cake idea! Genius!
    I think we're getting close to the end of the lockout... just trying to be optimistic here.

people are still allowed to read about information that isn't important to them. or am i wrong? oh ignorance at its finest...

8. I would like to take this opportunity, to welcome all NBA fans to wonderful world of NHL hockey! Sit and watch(I mean 'really' watch) an entire NHL game and you'll forget all about the NBA d-bags and their negotiations. If you really enjoy the game of basketball, there's absolutely nothing to dislike about hockey. Play development, precision, agility, endurance, dedication.....what's not to like? He11, I was a basketball fan all my life.....well, right up until I attended my first NHL game anyway.

Just so you know punchthemonkey NHL lost an entire season in 2004-2005 due to a lockout, go blackhawks... and hopefully bulls

Donkey*