Was checking out FL's Daily Links and I came across an interesting video of Rick Pitino bragging about how the Celtics almost drafted Dirk Nowitski. The video is after the jump and deserves a watch, but the most interesting nugget of information in there was that Rick Pitino and Chris Wallace convinced Dirk to say publicly that he was going to stay in the military for another year in order to scare off any other potential suitors. I guess Dirk really wanted to be a Celtic (yet another reason to be rooting for the Mavs over the Heat).

JR 6/08/2011 01:48:00 PM Edit

1. Greg Grant says:

Informative

Well, that year the c's drafted a guy called Paul Pierce, I think they turned out fine

I dont care , Paul Pierce is much better than Nowitzki

I'd prefer Dirk (League MVP) over Pierce (And I'm a Celtic fan mostly because Jayhawk Paul Pierce fell to #10) but WOW have they put up very similar numbers.

Dirk 9 All Stars - Pierce 8

Both NBA Finalist twice

Careers:
    Dirk
    Reg Season
    36.5 23ppg 8.4rpg 2.7 apg 47.6fg 38%3pt 88FT
    Playoffs
    41.4 26ppg 10.4rpg 2.6apg 46.5fg 39%3pt 89FT

Pierce
    Reg Season
    37mpg 22.2ppg 6.1rpg 3.8apg 45fg 37%3pt 80FT
    Playoffs
    40mpg 21.4ppg 6.5fpg 4apg 43fg 35%3pt 82FT

I'd say I'd much rather have Dirk (although Pierce was incredibly efficient) the next 2-3 years as he is still a top 5 Elite player. Pierce is still at an All-Star level but Dirk is at another level.

Teams drafting #9 & #10 did pretty well in that draft regardless!! I'd have been happy with either!!

One time league MVP and current top 5 player that is.

destiny man!!

7. Jon L. says:

Wow that is very interesting. Paul Pierce wasn't too bad of a pick though. He only won a championship.

Well the intent of the column wasn't really to compare Pierce and Dirk. It was just to say that it was cool that Dirk wanted to play for the Celtics and was willing to give up money to do so (not getting drafted higher).

But in terms of comparison I don't think its fair to fault Dirk for not having a ring yet. If it wasn't for suspicious calls in 2006 he'd have one. Also imo if you gave him 2008 Ray and 2008 KG I think he wins one as well.

Very happy we still ended up with Pierce. If Philly takes him we would have been stuck with Larry Hughes.

9. pedro_delarosa09@yahoo.comm says:

dont be a homer dirk is is far better shooter than larry bird and very difficult to guard only larry is a slick passer and much more rounder,both are good rebounders.dirk is almost indefensible.but u can stop pierce he just played very well in 2008 chapionships and outplayed kobe at both ends.