Celtics fans will get a preview of Boston's first round series with the Knicks this Wednesday, but don't expect it to be any bit as intense as it will be in the opening round of the 2010-11 playoffs.

The rivalry between Boston and New York is well known to everyone who follows sports. The Red Sox and Yankees have their famous feud and the Jets and Patriots are learning to hate each other more and more with each word that passes through Rex Ryan's mouth. The Knicks-Celtics rivalry has been dormant for quite a while. After some intense regular season match ups this year, you can expect that rivalry to be kicked up a notch in the first round.

"I think it's going to be fun," Paul Pierce told ESPNBoston intern Greg Payne. "You definitely have that rivalry in baseball. Maybe we can spark a rivalry in basketball. You've got two cities who are close to each other, great sports towns. I think it's going to be great for the game."

In the regular season, the Celtics are 3-0 against the Knicks. However, they've won those games by only an average of  5.3 points. Their biggest margin of victory was 10 back on March 21st yet it took a big fourth quarter comeback to take that one from New York. This is going to be one exciting series, and Pierce can attest to that.

"Pierce said the BOS-NY series will be as exciting as the Lakers last year or Bulls the year before," tweeted ESPN's Chris Forsberg. "Says fans are in for a treat."

Mike Saver 4/12/2011 02:58:00 PM Edit

1. .chuckT. says:

Where is Norman? He will probably predict 'The Celtics will get swept'..LOL

I follow sports, but not spots

3. DH says:

This write-up needs the video of PP's game winner when Nate jumped over him and fell on his head

Can't wait for the Amare guarantee that the Knicks will win the series. It's coming...

5. Liam says:

who'd win in a fight - flo or spike lee?

Haha TB. I predict in comes after he and KG get into it one game. I wonder if Patrick "I'm Never Going to be a Head Coach" Ewing will make any guarantees this postseason.

I predict the Knicks will be lucky to win one game. We will beat them hard

8. Louis Q. says:

I think is gonna great series and I'm from New York and I saw this in the newspaper that the Celtics and Knicks where heading off round 1 ; I was kinda disappointed that the Knicks probably will get kicked off 1st round but is ok is going to be a great series :)

Kinda disapointed wanted heat vs knicks because i think the kniks match up better with the heat then with the celtics. Hope pierce stays focused and doesnt have too much fun.

10. ThomasJ says:

If the C's go 6 or 7 against a terrible defensive team like NY it will have to be a treat because things will be over in round 2.

Not being negative, just realistic. If the C's are still a true contender, this will be over in 4 or 5 tops.

I think Celtics will beat the Knicks hard. Their defence sucks... ours hasn't been looking that good either but I believe we will step it up in the playoffs. The game will be very entertaining and interesting. I am excited for this matchup!

this is the wake up call that we needed. I wouldn't mind a game 5 or 6. we need a push from NY. to be ready for Miami.!

13. Three Toe says:

this is a good sign to me. it means that the C's realize that they can't just relax this time. the past couple years, the attitude in the first round had been "eh, we only sort of have to try" and it ended up both times being scary.