ESPN Boston
ESPN the Magazine features a recurring series called 'Player X' in which an anonymous star dishes about the league. In his fourth post of the current series, an anonymous NBA star takes a big swing at Kevin Garnett while writing on trash talk in the NBA.

From the Player X blog:

Garnett is a punk and a coward. I know, I know. Easy for me to say behind this column. Don't worry, I'll tell him to his face, too. And I'm not the only one who thinks that: If you're not on his team, chances are you hate the guy. You can learn a lot about him by watching his eyes. If he's talking to you -- and he's always talking -- he avoids eye contact. My advice to other guys in the league: Stare him down, and he'll retreat. From what I've seen, he'll never mix it up with a player who's bigger than he is. Personally, I think he's scared to fight -- like a playground bully who barks but doesn't bite.
I basically gave my opinion on this in the post title, so stfu Channing Frye. What's your opinion?

JR 4/22/2011 10:25:00 AM Edit

KG's great and everything, but I don't disagree with "Player X"

Your title says it all

The only punk and coward is player X. It doesn't matter though, KG will eat all of them alive next time they meet

4. I bet it was Tony Allen.

5. sach says:

oh man. . if he was so sure of wat kevin's made off why dint he put his name! haha i guess your "player x' is the real pussy! n rite now kevin might be laughin his ass off for all you know!

HAHA yeah i got this in the mail. its pretty great. just shows we have a slight edge in the mental department. good to know KG couldnt care about an article like this. whatd he say in the association? "Its my job to stop you, not liek you"

7. @mike saver i wouldn't even think of it as a former teammate, i think its someone who's teammate was bullied by KG and doesn't even have the balls to say it to him but has the pussy the whine about it. Since when did this KG hatred happen? Try asking every player in the league even Frye, Pachulia, Bayless, Mcdyess, Blatche and some other i can't seem to remember, if KG was in your team would you hate him? I can see clearly now that this is not about KG's trash talking nor being a bully, its because they envy the Celtics, they don't have someone like KG, they don't have a defensive anchor, they don't have a guy who is willing to take one for the team and give it all out, yeah so KG has some antics, but who doesn't? I think this anonymous player is someone who's team didn't make it in the playoff's, and so now he has all the time in the world to whine and complain about another player's attitude, KG has no time for this kind of crap, nobody gives a shit about what he thinks, LOL, why would you even say something like that to a magazine? are you really that dumb? You don't hear KG yapping about another players attitude or antics, all i can say is to this so called PLAYER X is STOP HATIN AND START BALLIN dumbass...

i will never give up on the Celtics, celtics pride, celtics nation, celtics all the way....

garnett will KILL YOU

9. Lamar Scrotum says:

It's definitely me!

10. QD says:

Yeah, this is definitely sad. Like I said in my comment on ESPN, whatever KG is doing, it's clearly effective. I mean he has a player blogging about him so he obviosly in his head, even when they're not playing. So I say keep it up KG, your tactics are working.

I saw a comment that summed it up nicely. The reason KG never backs up his talk by fighting is not that he's a coward. He simply knows where to draw the line.
    Fighting would basically level him with the other guy on basis of their physical strenght and KG is going after their psyché.

12. Michael says:

my two cents: one, player X is correct. A bully who won't make eye contact, starts trouble then makes enough space for someone else to step in and keep them apart.

two, Doc is correct, EVERY other team would take him in a minute and their players would love it.

13. oh how i wish KG read this, if he did, we'll see a hyped KG later... LET'S GO CELTICS...

14. TJ says:

It's obviously a player who is pissed he has to watch KG in the playoffs from his couch!

15. darius says:

seriously the only coward is PLayer X because he's the one not saying it to the public so everyone knows who is saying this.KG doesn't fight on the court because he's not stupid.He knows hell get tosssed automatically and he knows his team needs him.I guarentee if he saw someone in the street and they started gettin' into it KG would most definitely fight but the court of a NBA team is a place of buisness,not a UFC cage.

16. Its not the first time it has been said but it seems ppl forget the passion he has for the game. KG lives in the moment and yeah he gets dirty on the court but that is on the court. There is a reason his team mates get along with him. He plays the game on the court and in the opposing teams head. It's not a punk or coward thing, it's call STRATEGY and it works!

17. ThomasJ says:

Hey, I've been big a KG guy all through his career and this Player X commentary misses the point. Whether or not KG really would fight or is even a good fighter doesn't matter. It's all about winning basketball games and his talking and aggressiveness is his own psycho intensity that also ups his team's level of play and obviously gets under the skin and into the minds of the opponents.

Lol, he's sure avoiding eye contact with Channing in the picture.

KG's plan worked, he clearly has gotten in the heads of players all across the NBA. Also I hate when people call him out for being a "coward" and saying that he "can't back it up." This isn't the NBA of old, ever since the Indiana-Detroit brawl the NBA has had a 0-tolerance policy on fighting. These players make it seem like they fight all the time. If KG were to attempt to fight someone to "prove" himself, he'd be suspended and would hurt his team.

19. Luis lopez says:

Well the day player X wins a ring, a DPOY award, and an MPV, the day that player can call KG a punk and even then I'm gonna say that KG is still better than player X, oh I almost forgot about the 14x all-star that KG has over player X...

20. @Anonymous April 22, 2011 1:16 PM
    You got that right. I remember the last time KG was in a brawl, if im right i think it was in miami, that was when he got suspended for the elbow.

So i think that's a good reason why he doesn't fight, nobody wants to get suspended in the playoffs. who would?

21. Beantown says:

This is typical ESPN manipulation. When I talk to people about how much I hate ESPN, this is the type of stuff I talk about. They go and take an anonymous player and create drama with their anonymous comments. I don't really put a ton of stock into this, this is just more backlash about the Charlie V comments. Right now that bum Charlie V is sitting home getting a kick out of this because he knows that he started this backlash against KG's trashtalking.

This guy is coward. Everyone has something to say about KG because he isnt on their team, if he was they would be singing his praises. He is the most passionate player in the league and like he has said in the Association. He dosent care what other poeple say about him, everyone can talk but what they do on the court is what matters.

Love Kg no matter what.

what does he expect kg to do? fight him during the middle of a game?

24. If you can't put your name on it, don't say it.

25. Danny says:

Big talk coming from a bitch ass that hides behind the vale of PlayerX. How can you say that Kg is a coward just cuz he won't look you in the eye while he is crawling into your head with his banter?? Job done as far as I can see. Hey PlayerX.... if YOU weren't such a cowardly tail tucked between the legs bitch YOU would have a set of onions to be able to at least post your jersey#. Nuff Said.

26. Tim says:

Haha it was def. Charlie Villanueva

player x is stupid.... we all know that he wont have the guts to say it to KG's face because if he wasnt scared, then he would have posted his name, not player x. the coward and punk is actually player x for saying such things about KG. like seriously... he needs to get a life ASAP, and not comment on whats KG is doing.
    and his advice for the league is stupid. stare KG down??? like seriously player x needs to be stared down on. and if you stare down on KG he will show you that you are making a bad decision, and he will make you respect him by showing you how to play the game.