“Troy is relieved to have this decision behind him, and is incredibly happy to become a Celtic,” his agent, Dan Fegan, said this afternoon while confirming Murphy’s decision to pick the Celtics over Miami. “It was a super-close decision, because he had to choose between two great organizations and two great teams.”

Though Murphy stood to play more minutes in the Miami system, he reportedly preferred what the Celtics had to offer at both ends, including a help defensive system, led by Kevin Garnett, that would help him adapt.

Murphy’s main reservation stemmed from the Celtics’ trade for Jeff Green and Nenad Krstic - two players who will command time in the same spots. But Green is also slated to back up Paul Pierce at small forward, and Krstic doesn’t have Murphy’s rebounding credentials.

“It was a tough choice,” he said tonight. “Both are great franchises that do things the right way. But I have always followed the Celtics, and I had hoped to get picked by them (in 2001). But Joe Johnson (at No. 10) was a great pick, and I guess they were going with potential when they took (Kedrick Brown at No. 11).”
The last line is the best as it's always awesome to have someone try and explain the Kedrick Brown pick (as well as Chris "The Buffoon" Wallace's preference to keep him over JJ). I think fans are going to like Murphy as he'll hit the 3 ball and grab some boards, and playing next to KG, I imagine he'll up his defensive effort as well.

JR 3/02/2011 12:22:00 AM Edit

It just wouldn't be right with out a white guy on the team just kidding great pick up here

I always thought the trade of Joe Johnson for tony delk and rodney rodgers was a bad move, but I got over it after the hawks signed him to that ridiculous deal back in '04 or whatever it was. No way is he deserving of that kind of contract.

Regardless, I love this move and I think this was in the works for a while. I still think there's a chance they could add someone else. Ainge said on Celtics Tonight after the trade that there were 2 spots he was going to fill by this week so we'll see who the other spot gets filled by.

Great!

4. we're seeing DA's plot slowly unfold and evolve

In Danny I STILL trust

This is the kind of sports reading that lifts your spirits. A guy that always wanted to be a Celtic. Talk about love for a team. Thanks for signing here, Mr Murphy. Now time to prove you deserve to be in the rotation for the next NBA champ: your Boston Celtics

Danny Ainge gets another notch in his belt. You can add the two names, Nenad Krstic & Troy Murphy to the list of white players Ainge has attempted to or has added in the last 7 years. Racist Boston Celtics fans have their two new Kevin McHale's. LMAO

Anonymous, you are surley the only racist one here, so get out of here fast

9. Haha ..
    Ahh man .. it is so on now :-D

I'm not racist... and don't call me Shirley.

I'm Anonymous. I'm hiding. I can't judge anyone, I don't have courage to show my face.

12. Slava Medvedenko says:

Entertaining

That's great he's driving from NJ to Boston lol:

I say we sign Carlos Arroyo just to stick it to the Heat. Wouldn't hurt adding another point guard.

15. hell yeah for troy murphy!!! LETS GO CELTICS...

And to the "Anonymous" before Bohemian, that's an ignorant comment.

17. Three Toe says:

I don't know, Medved, this is also informative.

18. shelbyl says:

Racist Boston fans?

I've heard many insults, but this one is the, how can I say, stupidest I've ever heard. This is way below "Your Mama" jokes, way below "I've Had Sex with your Wife".

If Boston is racist, then we're all going to hell.

19. Sherri aka Old Fan says:

Thrilled!! I’m delighted Murphy is joining the Celtics, not because he is white, but because he’s wicked talented on the court and has the type of personality that will fit in with our guys. And he’s a wise man apparently—he chose the Celtics over the Heat! Seriously, it’s time to put the racist comments to rest. When Bostonian Celtics fans see Ray Allen raining threes, we admire that perfect form and his ready, set, shoot skills, honed with a work ethic that fans of basketball everywhere can surely appreciate. We see Paul Pierce’s leadership and marvel that he is able to draw a foul whenever he chooses. We see KG’s game prep, his crazy energy and focus, “getting all up in the kitchen” with the opposing team and think, damn; glad he’s playing for us. We see Rondo bobbing and weaving up and down the court, rebounding, stealing, passing the ball at exactly the right moment, to exactly the right player (sometimes even robbing plays from illegal huddles!!) and we think, damn, how does he do that! Murphy, Krystic and Green are lucky to join such a group of talented teammates. They are selflessly devoted to the game, checking self-promotion and egos in favor of winning as a team. Likewise, we are lucky to have the three of them. UBUNTU. Truly, the only color Celtics see is GREEN and the only race that matters is to BANNER 18.