This past Summer I personally thought Jermaine O'Neal would give us more this season than Shaq. Through the 2010 calendar year, Shaq has been a very pleasant surprise both on and off the court. Jermaine on the other hand has spent too much time off the court. I've joked about the perpetually injured JO, but just like how last season when Marquis Daniels was always out with some minor injury, players don't get to the NBA by being soft. Marquis has bounced back nicely this year (Should be playing more minutes) and I fully expected Jermaine to do the same.

Yesterday in extended minutes Jermaine O'Neal was a bright spot in the Celtics loss. What he gives the Celtics is a post defender, a shot blocker, a rebounder, and once he gets the rust off, a player who can hit the mid range jumper (And doesn't have delusions of being a 3-pt thread. Hello 'Sheed). Once Perk and KG return there will be some competition for the backup post positions. Don't count JO out just yet.

JR 1/01/2011 02:48:00 PM Edit

Well said, JR. The "start JO articles" in the web will start soon, you'll see ;)

JO can and will contribute. He can play the game. He just needs to be healthy

Love the Celts So JO show them what ur workin with prove that u still got some skills

Sometimes a player's best "ability" is their "availability." This doesn't hold true for O'Neal unfortunately. Although there's still time to prove Celtics fans wrong, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. I know O'Neal well enough over the years to manage my expectations. I mean I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night.

And yes that was 3 metaphors used, a new Celticslife record.

lol on the metaphors. I predict you will break your own record this week.

5. Rondo!! says:

JO was vveerrry impressive this game.
    Probably his best game as a Celtic (so far).
    Hopefully he keeps up with that type of play. It will be needed with or without KG and Perk. (especially when the other bigs are in foul trouble)

6. karl says:

Let's see him play for more than 1 week without an injury. Skills are t there but that doesn't matter if you can't play

7. Three Toe says:

wow he caught a rebound from a free throw that bounced right to him...

haha anyways, some great blocks there. That's what I love to see out of him. That and the willingness to fight for rebounds. That's all we need from him. Everything offensive he does is very simple and effective.