We've touched previously on the rumors that Marquis Daniels is affiliated with the notorious Bloods gang. The first I heard of this rumor was last Summer when he was among a few NBA players getting media flack for changing "c's" to "k's" in tweets, which is a custom of Bloods. Mediatakeout.com went further on this issue recently, and Marquis in an interview with Slam Magazine refuted the rumors.

Slam Magazine
SLAM: So what’s with the red bandana and gang signs in the pictures? Are you really in a gang?

Marquis Daniels: Of course not. The rag wasn’t mine. You want to know why I wear a lot of red? It’s simple. I think I look good in red. It looks good on me. So just because I like the color red that makes me affiliated? That makes no sense to me.

SLAM: What about the messages where you allegedly replaced the letter “C” with the letter “K?”

MD: That’s absurd, too. Who doesn’t shorten words in their text messages? And to say I replace the letter “C” with the letter “K” is crazy. Where are they getting that from?
People are always searching for something negative to say. To even say that I’m in a gang is absurd. I would never put myself in that kind of situation. I respect myself, my family and my fans, especially the kids who look up to me, too much for that.
I sort of feel uncomfortable even discussing this issue and hopefully Marquis has nothing to do with the Bloods or any other gang. Obviously he's going to deny the accusations and I'm sure his fans will take his word with no questions asked. One thing that should be noted is that "complain" and "komplain" both have the same number of letters (I rock at Math!), so the whole twitter shortening of words by changing "c's" to "k's" sounds rather silly. What are your thoughts on this issue?

JR 9/21/2010 05:50:00 PM Edit

He sounds totally sketch.

A man in red looks better to women, that is basic psychology and it is proven - look it up. And the spelling errors? He's an athlete! Does anyone care as long as he can read?
    Nah, just kidding, I don't really care.

He's in the NBA. Case closed. Who cares about his past, if he even has one. Brad Miller has committed more violence as a hunter, then M. Daniels has as a basketball player or as a person. He's in the NBA. He's as much a Blood as most of the gangsta-rappers are "gangstas". Not too many of them do anything, to anyone. Who cares how he types. Who cares who he takes photos with. The NBA champs took photos with George Bush and he's one of the biggest gangstas of all time. He made decisions year after year that led to violence and death all over the world.

4. um just because he replaces letters that doesn't make him part of a gang.. when i spell school i put skool.. when i say cool i spell it kool.. doesn't that mean i'm in a gang no! i wear the color blue a lot doesn't that mean anything NO!

5. glitterchick says:

Slow news day??? Why would anyone even give that nonsense any attention? Now we're going to critique what the players wear and how they talk? Let's focus on the game and not on this tabloid talk.

HoneyB is so in a gang. Maybe 2

you really shouldn't believe mediatakeout they make up lies most of the time

8. I wear green ALL the time. That makes me a member of a very special gang. But Bulls fans I'm sure wear a lot of red. Does that make them gang members? And Kappa members also replace c's with K's. So, maybe he was Greek in college.

If they would bother to read his tweets, he talks a lot more about his love for Jesus and God than he does about anything else. He has a good heart and does a lot of charity work as well.

I think it's terrible that MTO has tried to smear his reputation like that. Remember when Pierce was fined 50,000 for allegedly making a gang sign? This whole thing is so ridiculous.

9. Q6 Fan says:

Huge fan of Quisy's rap work. Love his feature on "Pussy and Patron" Extremely deep and inspirational. How come they don't make more decent songs like Pussy and Patron anymore?

What Marquis needs to focus on is on this coming season. He needs to prove he can be a productive role player in the league. He got nice comments from teammates last year (like from Ray Allen) but he needs to be consistent.

11. KWAPT says:

I'm in a gang-it's called CelticNation biotch.