First, word is that Adam Morrison is still trying to catch on with the Celtics.   He had worked out for the Celtics, among other teams, during the Vegas Summer League.   Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Morrison worked out for the Celtics in Boston on Tuesday and planned to do so again on Wednesday.  There is already stiff competition for the 14th and 15th spots on the roster and I don't see Morrison winning either spot over Delonte, Gaffney, or Wafer.  But, since small forward behind Pierce is a weakness, they have to take a look.  I'd much, much rather have Gaffney over Morrison, though.  We need a defensive stopper and not another shooter.

Also in Woj's article is this tidbit. The Celtics are planning to hire former Nets assistant coach Roy Rogers to replace Clifford Ray as the Celtics big-man coach, sources said.   The picture gets a bit clearer now.   This is speculation on my part, but I see the Celtics wanting Lawrence Frank.   Frank agrees to come if he can bring his former assistant with him as well.   Maybe that is true or maybe not, but it seems a bit convenient that the Celtics are releasing one of the best big man coaches in the league and suddenly bring in Frank's former assistant to replace him.

In case you have forgotten who Roy Rogers is, here is a little refresher.  He was drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies in 1996 and played for 4 teams, including the Celtics, over a 4 year NBA career.  He last played in 2003 in Poland.  His coaching experience includes being an assistant coach for the Tulsa 66ers and the Austin Toros.  He was also head coach of the Huntsville Flight in 2005.  He was an assistant under Lawrence Frank in New Jersey and most recently worked as a scout for the Nets.  Rogers had a 4 year NBA Career.  What is he going to teach guys like Perk and Big Baby who are already more experienced than him.   The least they could have done is gotten Cowens or McHale who have earned respect in the league as dominant big men.   I'm not very impressed.

UPDATE:   Former North Carolina star Rashad McCants is also in Boston working out for the team.   McCants is a 6'4" shooting guard who is a scorer as well as decent defender, but we already have Delonte and Von Wafer who are very similar players.  I'd have to say McCants is an even bigger long shot to make the team than Morrison.

FLCeltsFan 9/15/2010 11:29:00 AM Edit

Don't forget TB just did an in depth WTHHT on Rogers: http://www.celticslife.com/2010/09/what-hell-happened-toroy-rogers.html

2. I'm thinking they are setting up this season for a seamless transfer of power from Doc to Frank next season.

I have no problem with having coaches that weren't superstars. I mean I coach basketball and the highest level I played was High School Varsity, but the thing about Rogers was that he was an underachiever in the NBA. Not exactly inspiring.

4. I didn't expect a super star, but I would want someone who played more than 4 years. I mean the young guys he will be coaching have been in the league longer than him.

5. And it would be different if he wasn't replacing one of the most respected and successful coaches in the league. It's a real step down in the quality department.

6. Three Toe says:

Morrison is freakin nasty. If he wasnt riding the pine for the full 48 minutes in LA people might recognize. I would be pretty happy if he came here and actually played.

I would give Morrison a chance in green. He had a decent rookie season and then he got hurt. He had no place in the Lakers... Here, on a minimum role we could use his shooting and his IQ. This guy was a scoring machine and he can only help our scoring from the bench. Plus, what do we lose by inviting him to camp? If it doesn't work out then he will be let free.

Of the other three, it's tough to say because with West and Wafer it seems we've covered the 2 spot. Mobley is old though he was the best player of all the 4 invitees. Hassell can play some D and McCants is very athletic...hard to say.

I would invite Morrison and one of the other 3, I guess

8. shelbyl says:

This whole Clifford Ray situation was a huge upset on my side. These kinds of things come back to haunt you one way or another. It takes away from my optimism and upbeat for the upcoming season.

Meh.

When did Clifford Ray become Jesus?

shelbyl, you are a wacko if firing some stupid bench coach takes away from seeing a championship team. Are you sick?

You and FLCeltsFan are badly overrating what Ray does. Rogers will be fine.

Technically Morrison has never played against the Celtics with the Lakers jersey, which it doesn't really change anything but it's something that I appreciate. He has played against us several time while a Bobcat though.

Let's invite him to camp! Let's see him wear green even if it's only in preseason and then it's cut...we even had Darius Miles in green not long ago :)

Rogers was a beast and big men who know the game know he was the real deal. Bad knees ended his career, not a lack of talent. As far as I know Red never played center in the NBA, but Russell still respected him.

I disagree completely. Rogers was a beast in college but did nothing in the pros. Bad knees or not, I'm not sure he will get the respect Clifford Ray garnered...