The next time we see Rondo playing, it will be in the familiar home uniform of the Boston Celtics, not in the USA Basketball uniform that we have seen most recently.     According to USA Basketball, with one exhibition game before Team USA moves on the World championships in Turkey,  Rajon Rondo asked to be released from the team, citing some family matters that he needed to take care of.

“Rajon came to us and said he was going to withdraw from the team, that he had some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season. He did an outstanding job during our training, we appreciate the effort and commitment he made to our program and he completely has our support," said Colangelo.
The move by Rondo will keep Coach K from having to make the decision on which player to cut from the team.   Just yesterday Rondo said that he felt that he was on the bubble because of the DNP he received against Spain.  Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to be spared the label of being the one player cut.  This way, he leaves on his own terms and for good reasons.   I'm sorry that we won't be able to watch him play and I'm sorry he won't be able to earn a medal, but I'm very glad we don't have to worry about a serious injury in those games either.

FLCeltsFan 8/24/2010 02:05:00 PM Edit

Well that sucks. As one of rondo's biggest fans this still will appear like he got cut. My guess is by withdrawing from the team it's an attempt to save face for his brand.

2. Chris Whitney says:

Informative. Surprising, yet informative.

3. KWAPT says:

Hey I see this as RR saying that the Boston Celtics are his #1 priority. And I like that.

4. nita-applebaum says:

I FULLY SUPPORT Rondo in ALL HE DOES! If he had what he thought was more important things to take care of, then that was the BEST decision to make. I am behind him, ALWAYS 100%! And this way he will be well rested for the season. LOVE HIM!!!

I did not UNDERSTAND the words written in CAPITAL letters!!!lol
    Feels a bit like he was scared of the 'cut off' position. It's a shame as I have no reason whatsoever to watch the World championships. Except for the possibility to shorten the waiting for the NBA season to start. I was about to root for Team USA because of Rondo and now I'm not sure I want to. Sure there is still Chauncey Billups and Kevin Fu**ing Durant but still... It just sucks there won't be any "You got Rondo'd" moments.

6. Karl says:

Good decision by Rondo. Rest up before the season. International game is completely different from the NBA game and there's really no reason for him to be out there when he could be preparing for the real season. Go C's.

7. His brother said that his uncle's death hit him hard and maybe he just needs to be with family right now. He did leave for a day when his uncle died but then came right back. But then last night he was lamenting how he was on the bubble so he may just be leaving on his terms because he thought he was getting cut and didn't want to be remembered as the player who was cut.

8. sonya says: