Celtics coach, Doc Rivers, recently joined John Thompson and Doc Walker on ESPN Radio 980 in Washington, DC and shared his thoughts on several subjects including the Heat, Rondo, Shaq and Game 7.

On the 3 amEgos in Miami:

"Will it work? Eventually it will work. Will it work right away? I coach the Boston Celtics so I hope not. I do think people are all focusing on the wrong thing. I think everybody is talking about shots. Is there enough shots, will they have enough shots, will they be able to play together, whose going to take the last shot and that could cause turmoil, but I think the key for them is will they defend? Because if they defend and get stops, they’re talented enough offensively to get points. The key for them is will they buy into being a defensive unit.”

On how Shaq will fit in with the Celtics:
“He won’t change our style because we want to run. We have a saying, let’s try to score in the first six seconds and if not you try to execute the heck out of them. We’re gonna try and run, get easy baskets, and then wait for Shaq to come down the floor. My biggest concern honestly coach is defensively because every time Shaq comes on the floor, everyone is going to run pick and roll and no one has been successful in figuring out how to use him and I’m no smarter than anyone else. That’s all we’ve been focusing on this summer is trying to figure out what we’re going to do in pick and rolls when he comes into the game.”
On Rondo and what makes him so special:

"Rondo is he’s the smartest player that I’ve ever coached. His basketball IQ is off the charts. Now it gets him in trouble at times, but he has great feel, he has huge hands, he can rebound, and the thing that I’m most impressed with is he’s doing this without a jump shot. You think about how dominant he has been. It’s always been said that you cannot win in the NBA with a non-shooting point guard. We’re winning with a non-shooting point guard and we’re winning because of his IQ.”
On the Lakers beating the Celtics in Game 7:
 "They still have not beaten our starting five. Our starting five against the Lakers starting five has a ring. Tell him don’t forget that. We will be back strong and Perk (Kendrick Perkins) will be there next year if there’s a game seven.”
You can listen to the interview here.    Doc's comments on Perk being back tells me that Doc realizes how important to this team Perk is and doesn't see a problem with Perk winning his starting spot back.  The starting five, including Perk, will be back if there's a game 7 this year (or if we beat them in 5 or 6 too).

FLCeltsFan 8/23/2010 03:18:00 PM Edit

Thanks for sharing FL. Honest assessments by Doc. I think we need to hope that the 2 amEgos don't gel for at least a year, so we can sneak in another title. Anyone doubting that they won't eventually be great, I'm not sure where they are coming from. If Lebron could win 66 games with Delonte and Ben Wallace, he can win with Wade and Bosh and now in games when he disappears in the playoffs, Wade can bail him out. They managed to get some decent depth and will only get more in future years via the MLE. Everyone is gonna want to go to tax free miami to play in the warm weather anc chase a ring. kind of revulting lol. I would love if they at least had some growing pains this year and we knocked them out in the ECF and then beat the Fakers in the Finals.

Regarding Shaq again nice to see Doc honest about his defensive woes and that you don't change your style for him. My hope is that Perk comes back strong and Shaq can sit on the bench as the 5th big.

Echo his thoughts on Rondo, as well as the Lakers not beating a Perk team. Glad to see Doc in Perks corner. Now all he has to do is convince Danny to resign him.

I gathered you have a well deserved soft spot for Perk but the stuff he says about Rondo is big as well. Also the fact he's been working on defending the pick'n'roll with Shaq on the floor is somewhat comforting to me. I mean Doc worked on that so it's taken care of, right?

Weeeeeek comment by Rivers - I guess by his logic the Celtics have not beaten the Lakers with a healthy Andrew Bynum yet huh? You play with your team coach. You were an old school baller now your a new school whiner. Never thought I'd hear the whine from a guy like you. Weak atempt! Don't bring that koolaide inside. Would you accept that from your own kids?

Once rondo get that jump shot going this season Its over back to the finals and that's right doc fuck what this guy just said bynum is never healthy he's like Greg oden can't stay healthy this is perk first serious injury and it sadly had to happen in the finals that's what so fuck up about it ...but like I said banner 18 is coming we better than miam.......theyi big three vs our big three and superstar point guard rondoooooo coming with a jump shot this season

yeah "F" what I just said but it don't change that Doc is a whiner! Rondo is a great player jump shot or not and any team would be happy to have him. And Boston is better than Miami - all true - but the C's had the series tied 1-1 going back home and couldn't win game 3 with Perk! Then they had it 3-2 and couldn't win 1 of 2. Wallace played a great game in place of Perk and to suggest that because Bynum has been hurt before invalidates his contribution when healthy is ridiculous! The Lakers will come out of the West, the Celt's or the Magic from the East and hopefully Doc will coach with an eye on the title instead of what excuse he will use afterward. You can't run a race looking over your shoulder the whole time...and don't count on Rondo developing a J - it doesn't happen this late in life - your either a shooter or your not and he's not! He may develop a set shot, but will never have a jump shot and at his size he needs one. The man can't hit a FT to save his life or his teams chances.

First of all basketball is a team game. The Lakers won the 2010 title as a team. The Celtics lost as a team. Plain and simple. There are no asterisks next to titles about who was injured. Doc needs to man up and come to terms with the fact that the Celtics' time has passed. Their last title was back in 08. The Lakers have won 2 titles since then and the 10-11 season is about to kick off. He needs to focus on the upcoming season and stop making excuses for failures of the past.

Well said! In fact if the C's had won I believe Doc would have RETIRED! He was so counting on it. He's coming back now hoping to beat LA and then walk off into the sunset with a 2-1 record against LA. Won't happen. Just in case he wants to say that "the Lakers win didn't really count as much cuz Perk, oooh poor Perk was hurt" As if players don't get hurt in every sport, in every season. It reminds me of when Sugar Ray fought Hagler and how a great champion like Hagler sounded so pathetic crying about the decision afterward. Your all probably too young to remember that but it was sad and just like Doc is now. Interestingly enough Hagler was from Brockton, Mass. I think so maybe it's a Mass. thing that makes people who live or work there a whiner and a sore loser?