Marc Spears, Yahoo! via twitter

Boston Celtics re-sign guard Nate Robinson to a two-year, $9 million deal plus bonuses, a league source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Mike Saver 7/16/2010 11:34:00 AM Edit

Kind of a head scratcher. He gets more than TA was offered and much more than House ever got for the role. House could at least play the 2. I feel like the backup pg position is the easiest to fill with a vet minimum contract. Would have much rather spent the 9 million on a wing or big.

I was fine with Nate coming back, but I guess I was expecting something like a 2 yr/4 million dollar deal. The dollars here surprised me. Maybe Danny decided to overpay after losing Tony. Just seems like an awful lot for a 10 minute backup for Rondo, who isn't really a point guard.

It's not like we used our 1st round pick on a point guard too... oh wait.

I agree this makes zero sense.

3. RoswellSounds says:

You know, Nate is a big (short) question mark. You can´t tell if he´s going for the "play of the week" move or if he will do the most stupid play ever. And that becomes a liability, specially at this level. It seems like he can´t remember the freaking plays on the court!

Having said that, Robinson´s energy and athleticism are fantastic. He must be totally crazy! Now, he needs more brains. The money that´s going to be paid to him sounds weird. Don´t want to see Nate flopping again during regulr season...

4. Celtics sell many Nate's jerseys.

But I didn't know they were selling that well :)

5. Jay says:

All i gotta say is hell yeah for the re-sign of Nate! but also im getting impatient with rasheed holding back with his retirement decision, he should just retire so like that we can have more cashflow and cap space for a much better signing

6. sonya says:

um Jay, he is retiring. Danny has told the media. Doc has told the media. Do you need Rasheed to send you a postcard or hold a one hour special on ESPN?

Danny is simply trying to find teams that need cap relief and have something to offer boston. It's not sheed thats holding danny back

7. shelbyl says:

Now that we have this Bradley kid, Nate might be our back-up shooting guard. His mission last year was to set up plays and be intelligent, but if he's reduced to "Just shoot when you're free and stick to the guy you're D'ing", things might work out.

I don't know what the result of that will be, but I believe in Doc.

We couldn't afford losing Nate too. I am very surprised by TA's reaction. I guess there may be more in that story...

Now we need wings!!! Rudy!!!

Yes! The return of Bohemian. After thinking about it, I'm kind of happy to see Nate returning, but I still think it was an overpay.

LOL! I've been here all the time, as a silent assassin! :P

I am overall confused by the free agent madness and how Danny always has problems in this area.

Right now I would:

1. Trade for Rudy (1st option), Howard (2nd)
    2. Sign another cheap wing: Rasual Butler
    3. If Sheed is indeed retiring (allowing pt1 I guess), then we need another big.
    4. Please no mentions of Gerald Green, JR Giddens, and other long time corpses such as Wally Szczerbiak and Raef Lafrentz :P
    5. Can we consider Adam Morrison a corpse already?? Otherwise, can we give him a minimum contract just for the sakes of the "Larry Bird ninth reincarnation" idea??? LOL

Let's basically get younger and flashy (Rudy) and bigger (Shaq???) I know, i know...but who else is out there?

Another thing: if Nate and Barnes have the same agent...what if Danny accepted a bigger salary to Nate as a way to please his agent and therefore "facilitate" the negotiations with Barnes?? Maybe too simple, but dreaming is nice :P

12. RoswellSounds says:

It would suck too see Matt Barnes in the Celtics uniform. Laaaaaast option there. Go get Fernandez now, please...