Add DeShawn Sims to the youngsters that have been extended invites to Celtics' training camp in October. From the Ann Arbor News:
Former Michigan basketball forward DeShawn Sims is heading to camp.

"I got invited to Celtics training camp," Sims said in a text message Tuesday.

It is the latest stop on Sims' attempt to find a professional home after not being selected in June's two-round NBA Draft.

The 6-foot-8 Sims played on two summer league teams last month - with Boston in Orlando and then with Dallas in Las Vegas. He played better with the Celtics, averaging 7.5 points and 1.8 rebounds in 13.3 minutes over four games.
I don't see Sims making the final cut, but stranger things have happened. Could be a nice little battle brewing for those 14th and 15th roster spots in training camp, which is a rarity as teams usually are pretty much set nowadays going into camp.

JR 7/28/2010 03:03:00 PM Edit

1. Mike O'Koren says:

I wonder if he's related to Deshawn Stevenson.

Informative

2. jeffereigh says:

I've watched a few summer league games - he went pretty well considering he was behind Luke Harangody who was absolutely lighting it up from mid and long range...

Comparing the two Sims is definitley more athletic who uses dribble stutter moves to work into his range which is from about 15 feet and in. He has a limited post game which could definitely be improved.

Whereas Harangody has a relatively 'quick' yet 'funky' release that he doesn't hesitate to use anywhere from the mid-range and out. He uses his ability to hit the mid-range and long-range shots for his pump fake which inevitably the defence has to bite on and he can take one or two dribbles and find a better shot.

I actually like them both... they're different players and if I had to choose it would be Harangody however I don't know how well Harangody will go because he has such a limited ability to post up. His only 'move' in the post is a quick fadeaway jumper - I just think when he's playing in the NBA over a long season with the game he's got now - scouting reports and all he's going to have a tough time.

jeffereigh,
    How would you compare the two defensively?

4. jeffereigh says:

Harangody uses his size and low center of gravity to move other players off of position - he's always active and moving. He gets it done down low. He doesn't get out of position often. He's sort of like a mini Perkins on defence (for the PF slot) - just always working. However his lack of length and speed is what is going to kill him in the NBA.

Sims is 6'8 and apparently played center at Michigan and I can see why he has nice length. He's more suited to play power forward. He didn't really stand out to me on defence at all (I'd have to watch the tapes again) which can be a good thing. With his length and athleticism he could definitely improve.

At the end of the day Harangody works hard - really hard and is tough. The more I think of it the more I like Sims haha. He just has that NBA body and potential whereas I can't see Harangody getting much better... but he won't stop trying.

In any event, I can't wait for training camp.

Thanks for the reports jeffereigh

Sims was fantastic at Michigan. Great competitor. Hope he gets a shot at making the roster.