League sources said yesterday that the Celts have expressed trade interest in guards Leandro Barbosa of Phoenix and Rudy Fernandez of Portland.

The Celtics probably are using Rasheed Wallace’s contract in their attempt to acquire Barbosa, who averaged 9.5 points in 17.9 minutes for the Suns this season.

Barbosa, 27, is a seven-year veteran who would fit well with the uptempo style coach Doc Rivers and general manager Danny Ainge prefer.

But Fernandez may be even more intriguing. He’s a 6-foot-6 shooter ill-suited to the Trail Blazers’ halfcourt approach. The 25-year-old Spaniard also spoke of being homesick last season when he averaged 8.1 points and 2.0 assists in 23.2 minutes.
Barbosa will make $7.1 million and Fernandez $1.2 million next year. I wrote a couple weeks ago that the Celtics should go after Rudy, so you know who I'm rooting for. Rondo needs a young running mate and I think Rudy would help the C's much more than Barbosa. I'm hoping Avery Bradley can fill the combo guard role Danny is enamored with.

Thanks Bohemian for the find.

JR 7/04/2010 01:39:00 AM Edit

Get both of them and lebron 2

2. ThomasJ says:

Rudy would be a scorer off the bench. Let Nate go. Forget about Barbosa at 7.1 next season with a player option for 7.6 the year after.

I think Rudy Fernandez & J.J Reddick suites the C's the most. All the C's need now is a center & a shooting guard.

Barbosa can play- this year. Bradley, not sure how much he'll be able to contribute.

GET THEM BOTH.... I like this... really... I like Fernandez... he's younger and can learn a lot from playing with the Big 3. He just needs some motivation because he didn't like playing with the Blazers last year...

6. ThomasJ says:

I like Barbosa but the price seems too high especially with another year after at $7.6

Here in Spain it'll be exciting for us to watch Rudy playing in Boston and would make NBA even more popular... I guess he needs to play more defense particularly in this team, but I guess Doc Rivers is a motivator more than McMillan actually is.