Thinking about the upcoming series vs Orlando, I think it has to be discussed on whether the Celtics should activate Brian Scalabrine.  The two primary guys who play the 4 spot for Orlando are Rashard Lewis and Ryan Anderson.  Each of those guys is more inclined to shoot from the perimeter and put the ball on the floor rather than bang inside.  And since KG's lateral movement is probably the weakest aspect of his game right now the question to ask, should Boston activate Scal?

I'm not a huge fan of Scalabrine, but do think his ability to guard perimeter-oriented 4's is something to seriously think about.  I assume Shelden would get bumped but Doc may want Shelden for fouls with Howard.  Maybe Marquis?  Finley?  Nate?

I have a feeling Boston will stay with the roster they have used for the playoffs but my opinion would be to activate Scal and then come to a decision on who to deactivate.  I actually think he could be helpful in this series, and this series alone. So what do you think and why?

tb727 5/14/2010 11:15:00 AM Edit

1. Yes, activate him. He's actually not a bad perimter defender against 4's plus he's a red head which means he's awesome. I'm not biased at all though...

I thought about this and you know my feeling is I'd rather force the other team to match up with us. I could live with Scal being activated (maybe for one of Finley or Marquis), but I don't think he should be seeing minutes on a championship contender. He's just not that good. There's also the possibility the Celtics bigs get in foul trouble on Howard and you'll need Shelden.

I do see your point though, that Scal matches up ok with Orlando, but just don't want to see him on the floor (Except for garbage mins at the end).

Trust me I totally understand that sentiment regarding making the other team adjust to the Celtics. However in this instance I see it as a glaring weakness, and I wouldn't mind Scalabrine getting 8 minutes a game at the backup power forward since so much of what Orlando does is predicated on having 4 guys who can shoot 3s surrounding Howard.

The Magic aren't going to change that regardless of what Boston does. I just think it wouldn't hurt to have him as an option. Then again maybe the Celts should see how the first 2 games play out and decide from there.

So who's 8 minutes should he take? KG's, Perk's, Baby's or 'Sheed's?

Perkins, Baby and Sheed will play mostly center. Give Scalabrine 8 minutes of reserve time for KG. KG will play about 38 minutes anyway.

Do you really want to see Davis or Wallace sliding their feet defensively at the 3 point line?

I don't want to see Baby or Perk lose minutes. If your saying Scal should take 8 of Rasheed's minutes... then I'm not sure. I've never heard of a playoff team using a 5 big man rotation. Baby started last year vs the Magic in the playoffs and I recall did well. I'm not that scared about Rashard on the perimeter. He's not that great a driver. Just play his right. If he goes by Davis's left I'm sure the Celtics help defense will be there (well if its KG or Perk).

*Meant to say by Davis's right (which would be Rashard driving to the left). I like the Davis/Rashard matchup, b/c I don't think Rashard can cover Davis that well. Rashard can cover Scal in his sleep.

Can someone shed some light for me here - why do they need to deactivate someone if they activate Scal?!

Limited number of active players.
    I don't think Scal would do much better than KG on Lewis. Not after such a long pause.

This is an exciting poll lol!

Each team is allowed only 12 Active players/game. The are 15 on the team, therefore 3 inactive players.

12. ThomasJ says:

I would have liked to see Scal in there to rub it in near the end of a couple of Cav games but I'm not sure his lateral movement is any better than KG for meaningful minutes vs. Lewis.

Well, I think it would be nice to see Scal in the playoffs. Last year he did a nice job. He can get 5-8 minutes in a given game and play some nice D.

However, the problem is that you need to deactivate someone and you don't want to live without Finley's shooting, Daniels' D, Robinson's scoring spark, Shelden's rebounding...

So, I voted yes but I realize it is not likely and probably not advisable to activate Scal even though I would like to see him play 1 or 2 games

this is a no brainer.
    1)scal haven't played for some time, activating him that sudden wouldn't do any good to the team.
    2)he's not even close as good as KG, paul, or even marquis and tony in defending quick tall players.
    3)he can't score, his defensive man would just float around to give help defense
    4)it would ruin the current lineup
    5)lewis may score 30+ but not a guaranteed win for magic, but if carter/nelson/howard had a 30+ night, that's totally different
    next poll pls...