Lost in all the hoopla surrounding Nate Robinson's solid play of late has been the emergence of Bill Walker for the Knicks. After putting in 21 points on Monday versus the Cavs, his performance was dismissed by many because it came in a loss, a good old fashioned extended garbage time loss. Well, in last night's victory over the Pistons, Walker contributed another 22. It would be much more timely to wait until after a Celtics loss to write an article like this, but that would be lame in my opinion. One can be happy with the addition of Nate, but still lament that Danny overpaid once again. The 22 year old Walker was considered a lottery talent coming out of college yet never received the tiniest chance on the Celtics, a team starving for youth, athleticism and a back up 3. Now that's also on Doc no doubt. It wouldn't have killed the Celtics to give Walker a shot these past two years. If anything it would have kept Pierce fresher. And we all saw last night what a rested Pierce can do.

My issue is that the Nate for House trade did not need to include Walker. Danny wanted Robinson. D'Antoni wanted Eddie. The original deal which included Eddie, Giddens and a 2nd rounder was more than fair. Somehow the Knicks also got Walker. We still had options on him and he would have been a cheap player to keep around. For any talk that he might return to the Celtics, there's no way that happens. Boston will be the last place Walker wants to sign. After seeing the court he will not want to return to the scene of the crime, aka repeated DNP CD's. Now I'm not going to compare this to the Suns getting Joe Johnson from us. Obviously that was a bigger deal with more coming to Boston, JJ being a better player, etc. It's only been 2 starts for Walker, so we shall see. But speaking of seeing, it simply would have been nice to see what Walker could have done in Boston both in the past (Doc's fault) and in the future (Danny's fault).

JR 3/04/2010 08:25:00 AM Edit

1. Karl says:

Good point JR. They could've at least given him a chance. When he wasn't injured he was a beast in college and showed flashes(though brief) that he could be a rotation player on this Celtics team. Oh well, you win some you lose some I guess. Great article!

Hey Karl, you watch a lot of college ball right? When the C's drafted Walker, what did you think of him? I was actually much higher on him than Giddens at the time, even though Giddens was picked significantly higher. But I'd like the perspective from someone who watched Walker in college/HS more.

Quote by Walker in today's NY Times:

“I always thought I could play on this type of level,” Walker said. “It just took awhile for me to get the opportunity.”

4. Cory says:

how do you say..."just what we needed?" Well, I guess there goes Pierce's successor...In all those blowout games we had in the '09 Season to 2010 season you telling me you couldnt get a proper look at this guy? Gimme a break. I never saw ANYTHING in Giddens even when he was getting the start this season. Walker has ALWAYS been beast. But I never got a good look at Walker at this level. I guess I will from now on... And the Celtics.... About 4 times a year.

Yeah but the Celts got Marcus Landry...lol

6. Karl says:

I was very high on Walker out of college. He played along Beasley at K-State and shined. I liked his athleticism and despite being injury prone thought he would be a solid NBA player. In contrast, I barely knew who Giddens was.

7. Three Toe says:

Good article. I also loved Walker and have no clue why we didn't use him more. The more I think about it, the less I like Doc as a coach. The reasons are starting to pile up. I am actually glad we traded him, in a way. We certainly weren't using him, and I got proved right (so far) after repeatedly saying that he should have been getting at least five minutes a game. Now it's looking like even more than that would have been a good idea. Maybe he is a better fit in NY than here, but how could anyone know? A running Celticslife joke was the rare Bill Walker sighting. NOW WHO'S LAUGHING?!?!?! hahaha me. but SO ARE THE KNICKS!!!

The talent was right under our nose there, the starters were injured for a while, there's no excuse.