I refuse to believe that this is how the New Big Three era will end. The way this team is playing at the moment is not a true measure of what it can do. I think most of us feel that way. Again, that just makes it even more frustrating to see them perform the way they do at this point in time.

But let me take you back, if you'd like: I remember a point in the season when the Celtics were not even playing good basketball and were still winning games. They were not playing pretty ball but the fire raged in them and coupled with a huge amount of talent distributed between them, that was enough to finish off teams. Now, we still have the talent but that fire is nowhere to be found. My level of expectation for this group of players is at a low point right now, I'll admit that. Right now, I'd be happy to make it out of the second round. Right now.

It's still only February and a lot of stuff can happen between now and the playoffs. I think that what all of us hope, no, scratch that... What all of us demand, is that this group of players go out there and bust their butts. We need that fire back. We need hustle plays, we need help defense, we need hardnosed screens and we need to just flat out step up. All the little things that make a contender.

This team has shown that it can compete with the best NBA teams out there. In fact, if we play at the highest level than we can play at, there is only one team that can beat us: Ourselves. If we can stay healthy, we will be a dangerous team come playoff time. And why? Because a group of players with so much talent simply can not keep playing this badly. I truly believe that.

This may be the final year of the famed "window". I hope the players acknowledge that and step up to the challenge. This is not some mediocre NBA team. This is Boston, sports capital of America. We may lose but we have to give it our all out on the court. At least we'll be able to take pride in our effort, even in defeat. If the players remember that, we may still have a shot. We just have to act like a hurt animal cowering in the corner, ready to lunge at anyone that shows a sign of weakness. When they say we are down and out, let's move in for the kill. Let us be that hurt animal.

ACF 2/11/2010 01:39:00 PM Edit

This is awesome ACF. I was just going to email you to ask if you'd write something like this. Crazy. I'm definitely not giving up.

2. ACF says:

Thanks, JR. "Great minds..." Eh? :)

I was pretty bummed out after the Hornets loss but then I figured 'What the hell?! We can't keep playing like this'.

I hope the C's use this for motivation, LOL.

I loved reading this article ACF, congrats! I needed to read something like this. We can still make it happen, we just need a little something!

4. ThomasJ says:

Great article ACF! The point that it is only February is key and regarding the window.

I believe this entire team is going to have that fire burning as we move into the playoffs.

5. Karl Dillinger says:

Way to stay positive ACF! Let's see what the Celtics can do in the second half before we make judgements. Keep up the good work!

6. ACF says:

"LET ME HEAR IIIIIIIIIIT!"

I'm glad you liked it and if it got your spirits up, well, great. I am happy.

7. Three Toe says:

I think it's generous that you having them winning in the first round of the playoffs. If they keep playing like this, they will be out in the first round. Let's hope they can turn this around. While it's important to have the bench healthy again to keep the starters rested, Pierce needs his mobility and focus back, KG needs his quickness and Allen just needs to find his shot again. If those things can happen, we are golden.

8. Three Toe says:

Also, as a follow up, I think this team has a very serious desire to win. I don't believe that a lack of being fired-up is causing this downward trend. I honestly believe it's injuries for the most part, and a little bit of panic that the players are experiencing. Doc has proven in the past that when they follow his gameplan, they can be successful. He needs to find a way to get this team out of the "I need to win this game" mindset and into the "we will win this game together" mindset.

This team will be much better come playoff time. KG and Paul will be in better shape and health, same for Sheed. And we will probably have added 1 or 2 new faces ;)

I'm sensing a trade rumour in Bohemian's (not sure about the apostrophe position, how was it again? ;) ) comment.

11. Damn fine work there.

I want the celtics to prove that they're the Rottweiler that Pierce made them out to be.