So as I watched the Nets take on the Hawks the other night (before the Hawks won by 30) I saw the Nets' starters' names before the game.  Yi was one of the starters as was Lee.  It got me thinking "The Nets have 3 wins, which is the same number of letters in the last name of Courtney Lee, or one more than Yi" (even though his name is 'Yi Jianlian' they do it reverse in China like 'Yao Ming').  That got me thinking who had the most letters on the Nets for a last name, which is unequivocally Chris Douglas-Roberts (how 'Douglas-Roberts' even fits on the back of an NBA jersey is still a mystery).  This domino-effect phenomenon didn't stop there, as I then began thinking whether the Nets would get as many wins as there are in Douglas-Roberts' last name (hyphen not included) which is 14.

I gotta admit- this Nets team is truly awful.  Based on how little effort they play with and their abysmal -11.5 point differential, this really is one of the worst teams I've seen play in my years of following the NBA.  Kiki's hand is held on the sideline by Del Harris in one of the most pathetic displays of coaching and organization I've ever seen.  They have corpses, all throughout their roster most notably Bobby Simmons and his absurd 11.2 million he's making this year.  And all of this tarnishes the reputations of Lopez and Harris, their 2 supposed cogs for the future, as being overrated in my opinion.

The all-time record for futility in a season is the 9-73, 72-73 76ers (I always had wished the 74-75 76ers held this mark, just has a better ring to it, no lol?).

So what do you think?  Can the Nets topple this all time mark of haplessness?  How many wins will they have?  More than the player with the most letters in his last name?

tb727 1/08/2010 06:02:00 PM Edit

I voted Vandeweghe, but I could see them falling somewhere between Hassell and Vandeweghe. "Corpses" is to tb727 as "wing span" is to Jay Bilas :P

LMFAO about the Bilas comparison- TOTALLY on point!!!

And I wanted to put another name- I could've put Terrence Williams but "Williams" is so generic I doubt anyone would've known.

I voted for Hassell lmao

Looks like Hassell's in the lead with Vandeweghe a close 2nd lmao. This is hysterical!

They still haven't gotten to Lopez lol!

My Vandeweghe prediction is starting to look bleak. I meant Kiki!

50 games. 4 wins. Worst record after 50 games in NBA history, even worse than that Philly team.

The biggest point to all of this in my opinion? Brooke Lopez and ESPECIALLY Devin Harris are very overrated. If they were as good as advertised they'd have gotten a few wins by themselves.

I'm cutting Lopez some slack since he's in his second year. But this shows the true colors of Harris. He sucks and the Kidd trade wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. All he does is flop when he's out there and get outplayed by Rajon Rondo severely everytime they play. He's a sieve defensively too.

They got exactly 30 games left (4-48). Have to go 6-24 to avoid tying the record. I don't think they'll win 6.

This has become my favorite thing of the season since the Celtics began losing every game.

Sticking with Hassell as my prediction lol.

Got to Hassell WAY too quickly! They have exactly 20 games to go, only have to win 2 more to tie, 3 to break it...